A Typical Snowbound....

Started by bobbystahr, January 28, 2018, 12:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

So here's where it went. A bit much Ambient Occlusion but I like the pool now and the ivies on the folly wall are better as well....maybe still a bit under exposed over all?...C&C please
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

I like how this has developed. Regarding exposure.. yeah maybe. On the other hand, perhaps what might really set this render off is a second sun (in the same position as the first) with a large soft shadow diameter (e.g. 10 or 15 degrees), similar intensity to the first sun. The two suns together will effectively double the exposure, but in a really beautiful way.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on January 30, 2018, 03:42:19 PM
I like how this has developed. Regarding exposure.. yeah maybe. On the other hand, perhaps what might really set this render off is a second sun (in the same position as the first) with a large soft shadow diameter (e.g. 10 or 15 degrees), similar intensity to the first sun. The two suns together will effectively double the exposure, but in a really beautiful way.

Matt

Good thought I'll give that a try, thanks
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

....I think maybe I should have set the exposure back as stop or 2 as it was set at 4 for the previous render. This shows the pool well but the water less well. And you'll notice 2 suns more than doubled the render time.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Both are excellent renders. Depending on if you want it a pure Terragen render or not, one could adjust exposure in a simple filter. I like them both very much.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 30, 2018, 08:33:42 PM
Both are excellent renders. Depending on if you want it a pure Terragen render or not, one could adjust exposure in a simple filter. I like them both very much.

Doing a smaller test of this with the exposure lowered from 4 to 2.2 but keeping the doubled sun. and it seems to render faster. will continue posting versions till we're all happy LOL
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Getting better and better. Still not satisfied with the pool edges. You see the straight edges are ugly. What I actually meant in my previous post is to make the pool itself from cubes, not just the water as you mentioned. 4 cubes as the sides, and a plane/cube as water. Displace planet ground by SSS, no matter what the sides look like, they'll be hidden by the cubes.

bobbystahr

OK I get that Ulco, but as each succeeding render doubles in length (4 hours for this one) I think this one is a final. RE: the pool's construction, the project started as a build it all with SS shaders and how to use it's Stroke feature, I have built stuff in that manner but the exercise that started this was as I stated. I did realize the utility of remembering that in the final analysis it all depends on the camera and it's adjustments just like when you shoot a photo and the double sun trick from Matt really did it so this was a valid learning experience.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

ajcgi

Excellent. It's great to see someone thinking photographically.
It's an interesting project.

cyphyr

I think this is one of your best yet. Great use of the two suns trick. I'd move them off centre and behind the tree branch to cast some rays (but that's just me lol).
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Quote from: cyphyr on January 31, 2018, 06:26:49 AM
I think this is one of your best yet. Great use of the two suns trick. I'd move them off centre and behind the tree branch to cast some rays (but that's just me lol).

Thanks Richard, I'd considered that and may still try that on. Odd how one experiment leads to so many other ideas eh?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Matt

Great improvement. I still think it could be at least twice as bright as this (+1 stop, or double the exposure number on the camera), so that it really pops where the sun hits the trees and grass, while the rest is softly lit but clearly visible. Especially if you decide to move the suns so that they don't shine directly on the camera. Or is it just me? And don't be afraid to add a small amount of contrast in post.

My least favourite part is where the sun hits the water. Somehow there is too much roughness on the specular highlight if this is supposed to be calm, smooth water. If it becomes difficult to find good specular settings, consider disabling specular highlights completely (on the water, NOT the light source). The water will still reflect the bright sky.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on February 01, 2018, 03:06:20 PM
Great improvement. I still think it could be at least twice as bright as this (+1 stop, or double the exposure number on the camera), so that it really pops where the sun hits the trees and grass, while the rest is softly lit but clearly visible. Especially if you decide to move the suns so that they don't shine directly on the camera. Or is it just me? And don't be afraid to add a small amount of contrast in post.

My least favourite part is where the sun hits the water. Somehow there is too much roughness on the specular highlight if this is supposed to be calm, smooth water. If it becomes difficult to find good specular settings, consider disabling specular highlights completely (on the water, NOT the light source). The water will still reflect the bright sky.

Matt

Thank Matt, tried a few sun rays but I like it better the way it started. Will test your suggestions all round as the water was bugging me too, and I'd not thought of that. On that last one I'd dropped the exposure to 2.2 so am testing it at 4.4 but lo res so I can see it before bed time heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New