A Typical Snowbound....

Started by bobbystahr, January 28, 2018, 12:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

most the way through a center strip crop full size render and the water is fixed nicely now by my eye and I see real improvement in detail through out the crop are...very encouraged and will likely do a full over-nighter tonight. In deference to Ulco's sound advice I re-did the pool edge as the original point of the image (the displaced stroke thing)was ruining the picture that evolved. Will add a bit of rendertime but I'll be asleep so no problem.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

O K here's where this got to after 5+hours rendering. I've noticed a few things but I'll let y'all spot em in case I'm hallucinating on this image heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Well, first off congrats on the pool edges! That now looks awesome! I like this but prefer previous reflections. I see the floating population on the water. Dang it! Your efforts are not going unrewarded, it is still a fantastic setup! :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 02, 2018, 07:13:23 AM
Well, first off congrats on the pool edges! That now looks awesome! I like this but prefer previous reflections. I see the floating population on the water. Dang it! Your efforts are not going unrewarded, it is still a fantastic setup! :)

Thanks but I suspect Ulco will say I should have eroded the edges more heh heh but I was getting a tad frustrated and hit on this which I at least like if not love.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

You should have eroded the edges more heh heh  ;D

No, it looks really good. The only thing I miss is a bit of a wet area around the water. Water-dry is a bit abrupt. Why not darken and add a reflective shader  ending a few centimeters above water level?

j meyer

Really nice one Bobby. :)
Listen to Ulco and it'll be excellent. ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 02, 2018, 01:03:35 PM
You should have eroded the edges more heh heh  ;D

No, it looks really good. The only thing I miss is a bit of a wet area around the water. Water-dry is a bit abrupt. Why not darken and add a reflective shader  ending a few centimeters above water level?

I had considered that, but as the water is maybe 6 inches deep and leftover from a rainfall I thought the evaporation in a stagnant pool might not show the wet/ dry boundary...I'll have a look later but at 5+ hours rendering it'll be a day or so off as I got something else on the go...busy busy busy...it's the snow keeping me locked in that does this....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on February 02, 2018, 02:08:04 PM
Really nice one Bobby. :)
Listen to Ulco and it'll be excellent. ;)

Thanks man...as much credit for the look goes to Matt for his invaluable help with the lighting. It was fairly pedestrian at the start.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

SILENCER

Lighting and composition are everything.
This shot has really improved.

Take a look at the trailer for Tarsem's "The Fall" from 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY

He's currently directing the series "Emerald City"

bobbystahr

Quote from: SILENCER on February 02, 2018, 03:39:11 PM
Lighting and composition are everything.
This shot has really improved.

Take a look at the trailer for Tarsem's "The Fall" from 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY

He's currently directing the series "Emerald City"

Indeed a strange lil trailer and thanks for the comment.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Matt

Very nice. The sharp highlight isn't working as well as I thought, but that's my fault for suggesting it. I suppose in real life the leaves would distort it quite a bit (and there's a challenge for you if you're up for it). What shader is on the water?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on February 02, 2018, 10:51:45 PM
Very nice. The sharp highlight isn't working as well as I thought, but that's my fault for suggesting it. I suppose in real life the leaves would distort it quite a bit (and there's a challenge for you if you're up for it). What shader is on the water?

Matt

default water shader, and it may not live up to what you expected but I was most pleased, that 2 suns is a great technique. Not sure if I'm up to that as right now TG is resisting me adding a wetness layer to the pool surface as per Ulco's last suggestion...think I just got it. If I can nail this and touch up the edges I think this will be a finished image...wish me luck heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

luvsmuzik

I looked at this again on my mini tablet, and I saw the neatest glow around your water-sun highlight! In that case...I love that! Perhaps I do not have my new monitor set right yet, I just plugged it in and went with default stuff.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 03, 2018, 02:27:52 PM
I looked at this again on my mini tablet, and I saw the neatest glow around your water-sun highlight! In that case...I love that! Perhaps I do not have my new monitor set right yet, I just plugged it in and went with default stuff.

I decreased the spread on the water to near zero fo that if you refer to what I'm guessing
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New