A Typical Snowbound....

Started by bobbystahr, January 28, 2018, 12:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on February 03, 2018, 01:22:27 PM
Beautiful, Bobby!

I'm thinking that may be nearly the final render. Ulco suggested a darkening 'water line' but have been unable. For some odd reason, I can't suss it out, get a Surface layer to do it so cancelled that part but have figured out some cool displacement for the pool edges so he'll be plesed at that heh heh heh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

So...here's the problem I have and which dissuaded me from putting a wet layer in the pool as I couldn't get the layer to cover correctly. I tried all yesterday and nada....comments welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Probably a dumb question, but why is your color function_grass layer?

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 03, 2018, 07:43:48 PM
Probably a dumb question, but why is your color function_grass layer?

Pardon? I don't understand. This is about the pool so I had no focus on grass.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Was going to post my most recent render when a light went on and I realized I hadn't tweaked the poolside stones roundness or displacement tolerance so I've done that but I won't be posting till tomorrow as I'm gone now till well after it finishes at an out of town party/gig and everyone but me will be too hungover to get back before I'm guessing, supper tomorrow...will post the last render then.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Safe travels! I was just looking at your surface layer there w/o magnifying the other node setup....Gotta learn to think before speaking, haha

Dune

Strange color blob. Did you set an absolute altitude for the wet border?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 04, 2018, 01:52:41 AM
Strange color blob. Did you set an absolute altitude for the wet border?

Would that be using a Blue node?...if so no, and in the full screen grab I was simply trying to fill the complete pool area, but I gave up on the wetness and went with your suggestion to work on the edges. With the state of my computer these renders are taking too much of my fun time heh heh, when it works it's fun; when it don't, not so much.
Having said all that allow me to present iteration 12 of this scene....btw, the .bmp looks a lot nicer unless it's just this old monitor making it look a bit awful.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Awesome awesome awesome fix on pool stone edges!  :) Hand crafted wear just terrific!

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 04, 2018, 10:35:53 AM
Awesome awesome awesome fix on pool stone edges!  :) Hand crafted wear just terrific!

thanks muchly.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Really cool, and one of your best so far. But I keep nagging about the watersides. I meant just using the surface shader's altitude. Another option would be to raise the water level 10cm, so it hits the grey vertical sides. And , btw, I would reduce reflection to 0.8 or so.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 05, 2018, 06:16:16 AM
Really cool, and one of your best so far. But I keep nagging about the watersides. I meant just using the surface shader's altitude. Another option would be to raise the water level 10cm, so it hits the grey vertical sides. And , btw, I would reduce reflection to 0.8 or so.

As a trade-off I did raise the water slightly so it lies barely under the horizontal line of the tile texture on the pool, kinda fools the eye, well my eye as you weren't fooled heh heh heh...If I can squeeze another 4-5 hr render in I'll address the reflection..thanks for your input...you and Matt have been most helpful and I feel I should sub credit y'all.
And I never did figure out why it wasn't covering the full layer, never had that happen before.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New