V3 clouds

Started by Martin, January 28, 2018, 02:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

I don't usually start new topics, but I've been doing test renders of clouds and realised I still have a lot of things I don't quite understand.
Voxel numbers for example. And I thought the generic cumulus layer is a v2 cloud layer...well no.V3 but with density fractals?

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 28, 2018, 02:57:50 PM
yep yep
and some Parameter C fun!
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21754.msg218651.html#msg218651
AAh thank you! I was searching for similar threads in the forum!
I kinda experimented with the right C parameters,
Still not sure about the relative impact of the voxel number.

Oshyan

Number of voxels controls the ability of the renderer to represent detail in the cloud (that derives from the Density Shader). In other words if you have a very detailed/multi-octave Density Shader, but low number of Voxels, you will not get as detailed a cloud as you might expect. So higher voxel count = more detail, especially in cloud "wisps" and in internal cloud scattering/lighting. I would generally suggest leaving it at default while setting up a cloud, and then if you feel you have good settings for a detailed cloud shape, but you are not seeing enough detail, either in cloud edges, or in shadow/interior scattering, then try increasing Voxels and see if it helps. Don't assume that higher voxel count is always a lot better though, as it increases render time and especially memory use.

Cloud Shader v3 is a generalized new model for more realistic light scattering in clouds. Easy Cloud is just *one* (easier to use/simplified) node that uses the v3 cloud shading technology. But v3 clouds can be just as controllable as v2 clouds using the "Generic" preset, as you found.

- Oshyan

Martin

Quote from: Oshyan on January 28, 2018, 04:55:11 PM
Number of voxels controls the ability of the renderer to represent detail in the cloud (that derives from the Density Shader). In other words if you have a very detailed/multi-octave Density Shader, but low number of Voxels, you will not get as detailed a cloud as you might expect. So higher voxel count = more detail, especially in cloud "wisps" and in internal cloud scattering/lighting. I would generally suggest leaving it at default while setting up a cloud, and then if you feel you have good settings for a detailed cloud shape, but you are not seeing enough detail, either in cloud edges, or in shadow/interior scattering, then try increasing Voxels and see if it helps. Don't assume that higher voxel count is always a lot better though, as it increases render time and especially memory use.

Cloud Shader v3 is a generalized new model for more realistic light scattering in clouds. Easy Cloud is just *one* (easier to use/simplified) node that uses the v3 cloud shading technology. But v3 clouds can be just as controllable as v2 clouds using the "Generic" preset, as you found.

- Oshyan

Thanks for the detailed information!
The easy cloud node worked so good(the new shading model is breathtakingly beautiful),that I didn't feel the need to try and change anything apart from the obvious base settings!
Never put the density higher than 1 for example. But it gives really nice results with even as high as 50, or 100- makes it more like a big thundercloud even with smaller sizes. And definitely adds to the render time, so I'll probably stick with the easy cloud options for now.

luvsmuzik

I think that cloud could work if it was say behind your strata...which is awesome btw. Or is it hiding a ufo? stealth approach.... ;D

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 29, 2018, 09:02:40 AM
I think that cloud could work if it was say behind your strata...which is awesome btw. Or is it hiding a ufo? stealth approach.... ;D
I was just experimenting with small local cloud formations, I thought it looked cool to have this dense odd cloud towering right above the cliffs:)
But it's not easy to fine tune it, because it takes quite a lot of time to render a dense cloud like this