Feature request: Render in wireframe.

Started by Upon Infinity, January 29, 2018, 06:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Seriously, why hasn't this been implemented?  Seems like it would be relatively simple, since we have it in the preview. No demand?

N-drju

Hmm, though it seems like something one would implement early on in a CG program, I can't think of any practical way such a render could be used... What do you think it could be useful for?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Upon Infinity

Quote from: N-drju on January 29, 2018, 03:23:41 PM
Hmm, though it seems like something one would implement early on in a CG program, I can't think of any practical way such a render could be used... What do you think it could be useful for?

Artwork.  Specifically, if you wanted to create a display of 3D geometry, rather than a full 3D raster render with textures.  I would place it in the 'nice to have' requests, rather than the 'must have' requests.

I suspect a large part of the reason, is that Terragen's procedural terrain does not break down into wireframe itself and that such an option, even if available, would only apply to imported objects.  However, without the option to display the terrain in wireframe, I would withdraw the request and find an alternate method to achieve what I'm looking for.  I wouldn't want PS to waste resources on a feature that has only little value to a few people.

I have used a similar feature in 3D coat to render out the wireframe to display the geometry of objects I have created.
https://youtu.be/XPSda33brXo?t=24s

Matt

The wireframe in the 3D Preview is rendered by OpenGL, while the final render is our own software renderer. Adding wireframe rendering is possible but the feature would have to be specially written. Also, as you suspected, it would be more complicated to do this for procedural terrain. We're unlikely to add this feature any time soon.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Upon Infinity