Lowering the FSS

Started by N-drju, January 29, 2018, 01:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Putting my fake stones into a fake water stream (just a surface with water shader attached.)

Is there any reasonable way to "sink" the fake stones a bit? So they dig into the ground 20-30cm?

Alternatively, is there a way to use plane object as water surface and give it a displacement that correlates exactly to the terrain underneath it?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

cyphyr

I'm not quite sure what you mean ... but the disk object (used for the lake object) actually conforms to the planet sphere. If you plug the compute terrain node into it , it will follow the same displacements as the terrain. (set the plane to 0, 0, 0 first).
Not so sure about the Fake stones though ... you can plug them into the displacement of a surface node and give them a negative value, and the FSS can have a negative value for their tallness ... What kind of effect are you trying to achieve?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

luvsmuzik

rocks stuck in mud versus rocks you can kick a country mile

N-drju

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 29, 2018, 02:29:46 PM
rocks stuck in mud versus rocks you can kick a country mile

Hehe, well said. ;) This is just what I would like to achieve cyphyr - rocks stuck / sank in a mud.

Also, consider the below, professionally prepared diagram. Let's say there is a downhill slope where I would like to put a water stream. Instead of faking it with water coating, I could theoretically put a plane which is displaced like the terrain below. This would allow to hide the stones beneath "real" water.

[attachimg=1]

Hm... yet another (and far easier) solution, could simply be to reduce the pancake effect to create pointier rocks. Then it looks as if half of them is underwater...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

The problem with fake stones is that their origin is very hard edged, you can't use them as masks to lower ground, unless you translate the displacement to color and then try to soften it, which is still hard.
Or you'd have to make stones a different way, by masking ground stonesized patches and raise those, add compute normal and displace sideways. Keep raising mask to sink that plane or whatever. I've been messing with that for quite some time over the years, but never found an easy solution.

N-drju

Well, thanks anyway. Creating water running downhill is one heck of a problem I can see. :) Though I remember there was a thread where someone (you?) helped another person to create a river running down a smooth slope. I couldn't find it though.