Does it add up?

Started by N-drju, February 01, 2018, 04:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

If you add these stones as child on a surface shader with smoothing on, after a compute terrain with small patch size (1-2m), it works quite nicely. Mask the fractal mask (of the stone) by distribution shader with set slope and altitude. That way you only restrict the stones, but not the colors (tha's what happens if you restrict the slope in the surface shader). Also (it may help a bit) attach a XYZ shader to input of the stone.

luvsmuzik

I did not quite understand where you were going with this as the setup I got your second camera came in underground, there is only 1 fake stone (not six like I thought you were wanting a setup for). So listen to Dune, I am sure you will get it eventually. :)

N-drju

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 03, 2018, 09:59:48 AM
I did not quite understand where you were going with this as the setup I got your second camera came in underground, there is only 1 fake stone (not six like I thought you were wanting a setup for).

Kind of misunderstanding. I did want to have six layers of non-interacting FSS and I did that thanks to your tip. However, later came a problem of how to prevent terrain messing up with the FSS shape and that's where discussion continued. It's probably my fault - I should have created another thread to separate the two issues.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

Oh, okay.
It has just been my own personal experience that fake stones need to be piped as a child of a surface layer to avoid taking the surface of the terrain. If stones are added as displacement, they take on the color/texture of that layer. There could be a way to avoid that, not sure.
You must keep in mind when making your scene that when you assign altitude and slope to surface layers, if you want stones there make your stones a child of that layer.
Think how when you add a new surface layer you should see a white blanket over everything, then as you restrict altitude and/or slope you should see white triangles in your preview window where your restrictions are. When you add the stones as a child, uncheck the color option for the surface layer. Examine all tabs in layer controls. making sure something else is not interfering with your stones. (Like displacement at 100 or something, ha!)
This does not mean you cannot mask a layer, I was giving you a simple explanation.