An imposible Material/Shader

Started by Ariel DK, April 13, 2019, 09:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ariel DK

Direct to the point: there is some way to simulate a material or shader that can be 100% transparent and 100% reflective AT SAME TIME?
I already know that is physically impossible but, maybe we can fake both effects?
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

That's glass FYI.  :P

But seriously. The glass shader set to double-sided is just transparent with reflection. There may be the ever so slightest level of blackness (citation needed) which could be overcome with upping the transparency above one slightly like 1.1.

René

I have no idea what it would look like if it were indeed possible. It would be a transparent object that emitted light, wouldn't it? :)
What effect do you want to achieve?

Ariel DK

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 13, 2019, 11:27:15 PM
That's glass FYI.  :P

But seriously. The glass shader set to double-sided is just transparent with reflection. There may be the ever so slightest level of blackness (citation needed) which could be overcome with upping the transparency above one slightly like 1.1.

Hi Wasasquatch
You're misunderstand me, the glass shader should be surely part of the solution, but not the solution at all. i'm thinking more in something that must be transparent, EXCEPT where their surface is reflecting something, it would be ideal for my black hole project, as well as the scene is in the vacuum, i only need that the material reflect something VERY brighter, in this case, the accretion disc of the black hole.

Quote from: René on April 14, 2019, 02:57:40 AM
I have no idea what it would look like if it were indeed possible. It would be a transparent object that emitted light, wouldn't it? :)
What effect do you want to achieve?

YES René, exactly, and that emitted light should be from the areas where the material is reflecting something, as i say just above, check out my Black hole project in the file sharing, it should be give you a nice idea of what i want to achieve here ;)

WAS

Well that's not quite how reflections work.

What you're talking about is more a whole new function of TG to capture reflection points of origin to be able to differentiate from something like bare sky, and a surface reflection.

Not really a material.

Also, at these scales, reflections don't work that great. Take a sphere for example with a disc surrounding it giving off light. Put it in a black void (no sun, looking top down with disc in view around the sphere) and it will reflect the camera's viewport on the center of sphere, rather than the disc reflecting off the sides of the sphere warping to the center. There will be no reflection from the disc itself on the sphere, but a weird duplication of the scene.

Ariel DK

well just 2 things
1 - Is not really a material, but maybe we can try to combine different materials over a layered sphere o torus object to achieve this. otherwise we are talking about create a new shader in TG, what is technically impossible... or maybe not(?

2 - "Also, at these scales, reflections don't work that great." that is another reason why i don't used planetary scales for my black holes scenes, i doesn't matter how much you increase the reflectivity of the torus object, its does not reflect anything in absolute. i think this is a theme for a new thread for sure...

René

Quote from: Ariel DK on April 14, 2019, 04:13:43 PM
well just 2 things

i doesn't matter how much you increase the reflectivity of the torus object, its does not reflect anything in absolute.

I have no idea if this will work, but have you tried to increase the reflective colour in the reflective shader to 100 or higher?

Ariel DK

Quote from: René on April 16, 2019, 06:25:10 AM

I have no idea if this will work, but have you tried to increase the reflective colour in the reflective shader to 100 or higher?

I did it in my first tests and nothing happened, but i never tried more higher values than 100. im rendering a little animation now, so gonna try again tomorrow :)