Unusual memory file bump

Started by eapilot, February 02, 2018, 01:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eapilot

I have a pretty simple Terragen sky scene using only cloud nodes and the memory file significantly increased.  Does anyone know how this can happen?  Essentially, I had a more complex node network, and then I deleted it all to use a couple Cloud Layer (v3)s and some cloud density fractals.  The .tgd file is the same size as the 4k exr that I rendered out to disk.

Dune

This is not much, is it? 15MB...

eapilot

Quote from: Dune on February 02, 2018, 01:09:04 PM
This is not much, is it? 15MB...

I have never had this, that is all.  The files below that remain much smaller have much bigger graphs. 

Dune

V3 cloud uses quite a lot of memory, that's one thing I can tell.

Oshyan

We would have to look directly in the .tgd to know what's in there. But no, v3 clouds should not make the *file size* (on disk) of the tgd larger. The main (and almost only) things that do that are 1: Painted Shader and 2: Keyframes in animation (for many, many parameters).

- Oshyan

eapilot

Thanks Oshyan.  I had a painted shader node left unconnected after experimenting with it.  Deleted it and the file is back to 83 kb!

Oshyan

Ah, glad that resolved it. :)

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: eapilot on February 02, 2018, 09:42:32 PM
Thanks Oshyan.  I had a painted shader node left unconnected after experimenting with it.  Deleted it and the file is back to 83 kb!

Good find. as a Painted shader user perennially I have to remember to delete the fails as I often try 2 or 3 paints to see which covers best and forget about the Fails in my enthusiasm....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist