A few questions about Terragen and Linear Workflow Rendering + Compositing

Started by D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet), February 22, 2018, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I have been rendering a lot of 360 cloud scenes (SkyBox) as 32-bit EXR with an extra output Alpha image as EXR as well, and am going to be using Natron for compositing. 

I already figured out how to turn off atmosphere to get a good alpha mask render, but I am still wondering about tone mapping settings.  I assume I need to alter those to comply with a linear workflow.

For example, do I put the gamma slider to 1.0 (default seems to be 2.2)?  What about the "Contrast" option, and "Soft clip effect"?

Is there anything else I need to know for linear workflow out of Terragen?

Also, if it's ok for me to ask here, does anyone know how to set up a Terragen rendered Alpha (32-bit EXR) into a workable Mask in Natron?  Somehow I need to combine the RGB channels of my alpha render and shove the result into the A.Color channel to be able to use in as a mask in the Merge Node. 

Thanks for any help,

-Derek

bobbystahr

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on February 26, 2018, 05:38:39 PM
I found my answer here if anyone has this question:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16213.msg161099.html#msg161099

This is a deep forum and sometimes y gotta trawl a while before y snag something that helps, but a lot I found has already been posted.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist