How to import animation from maya?

Started by xxdaggerxx, February 27, 2018, 01:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxdaggerxx

Hi i am trying  to import a simple aircraft animation into terragen 4 from maya 2017.

I used FBX, but nothing appears. only my camera and animation appears but no geometry.

There is absolutely no documentation at all., Honestly Terragen's UI is god awful.

What is the proper workflow between maya 2017 and terragen 4?

digitalguru

I've written a script that should help you out here:

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/script/free-terraman-for-maya

As luck would have it, the tutorial video features a plane animation exported from Maya to Terragen :-)

I'm working on a new version now, which should have some improved features for animation - if you don't mind being a beta tester, I can send you a copy, but try the Highend version first.

Bear in mind that your imported animation will not motion blur, Terragen can only camera motion blur imported animations, but you can output motion vectors and blur in a compositing program.

If you try this out, let me know how you get on, feel free to get in touch if you have any issues.

xxdaggerxx

Thanks i will look into it. Im surprised this software doesn't have native solution. disappointing..

Anyway, are you able to export the clouds? Maybe has a simple geometry or VDB?

Thanks.

digitalguru

QuoteIm surprised this software doesn't have native solution.

Well, this is primarily 3d terrain rendering software, I think the developers are wise to concentrate on that and not make it an all singing, all dancing 3d application. Personally i think the way to go is to render hard surface objects in Maya and composite with terrain renders out of Terragen - let each software do the job it's best at.

Actually Terragen at the moment forces you to load an .obj for a mesh and .chan for animation separately, and I prefer that as it enables an animation update with having to re-import the object over. Having said that though, Alembic import would ideally, be the way to go.

I think OpenVdb import/export for volumes is on the road map for this year.