Hpw to open an OBJ mtl file

Started by luvsmuzik, February 02, 2018, 04:41:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

This may or may not help newer Terrageneers

Expand your object shader tree to access the control boxes or use the node network in OBJECTS

Oshyan

Good info, but to be clear, that is only showing what Terragen interpreted *from* the MTL and OBJ files. You can also open .MTL files in a simple text editor and this is frequently a valuable troubleshooting tool in cases where materials do not seem to be coming into Terragen correctly. A valid .MTL with correct texture paths is needed for Terragen to properly assign materials from OBJs.

- Oshyan

Ethrieltd

Quote from: Oshyan on February 03, 2018, 09:51:01 pm
A valid .MTL with correct texture paths is needed for Terragen to properly assign materials from OBJs.

- Oshyan


Do those have to be absolute paths?

Dune


luvsmuzik

February 04, 2018, 06:44:49 am #4 Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:05:33 am by luvsmuzik
Quote from: Oshyan on February 03, 2018, 09:51:01 pm
Good info, but to be clear, that is only showing what Terragen interpreted *from* the MTL and OBJ files. You can also open .MTL files in a simple text editor and this is frequently a valuable troubleshooting tool in cases where materials do not seem to be coming into Terragen correctly. A valid .MTL with correct texture paths is needed for Terragen to properly assign materials from OBJs.

- Oshyan


Well yeah, then you can use your find and replace options to track down colors, materials ....etc. Been there too. :) I did not realize for awhile that mtls opened in notepad. Like those programs that create a text file for you as you create, there can be a huge file.

Mostly I did this example so one could see if textures exported correctly. I find that often objects I make do not so then I use Poseray to fix the mtl. My problems are probably due to lack of knowledge as to how to export the initial materials with the object.

SILENCER

Yes, this needs to be corrected.
I've had various flora in .obj format come in with zippo. A lot of that occurred with Vizipark stuff.

Also, with the new .LWO format in LightWave 2018, it'd be nice to be able to get that format's texture data across as well.

Mid-Knight Acchan

https://www65.atwiki.jp/terragen/pages/97.html

I'm glad if you can use it as a reference.
However, the explanation is Japanese ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Mid-Knight Acchan on February 22, 2018, 01:34:14 am
https://www65.atwiki.jp/terragen/pages/97.html

I'm glad if you can use it as a reference.
However, the explanation is Japanese ;)


Google translates it just fine....thanks for the link.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

digitalguru

that's the best translation I've seen for a technical web page - site looks interesting too

WAS

I've noticed a common issue with objects is the author tends to test his objects within his workspace, export, and than change the file structure to compress. This tends to cause confusion when using the objects where textures point to non-existent locations.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/