Great terrains

Started by René, March 04, 2018, 08:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

A couple of great terrains in this making of. You will have to pause occasionally to see them properly.

https://vimeo.com/255335312

Dune

Wow, that is really cool. Thanks for the link, René. Got some screenshots as refs for the rocks.

René

When I look at the clay renders, they contain much more detail than finally shows up in the film; the shots contain a lot of dust and motion blur. Apparently, all that detail is needed to convince the viewer that he is looking at something that is real and not CG.

Dune

I agree, it's sometimes the lack of small things that make it fake. Those rocks are probably premodeled, but I'd love to get that done procedurally in TG. I'll have another go...

René

Quote from: Dune on March 05, 2018, 03:53:17 AM
Those rocks are probably premodeled,

See my previous post:

"We took a field trip to some cliff locations here in Victoria and photographed them to be reconstructed with photogrammetry later," remarks Melenhorst. "As well, we built assets from scratch in ZBrush and used library pebbles and tree trunks from Megascans. The assets were passed to our FX team who built a tool in Houdini to scatter dust, pebbles, rocks and leaf litter based on the feet of the rhinos interacting with the ground environment."