Gas Giant / Dark Spot

Started by WAS, March 04, 2018, 03:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I want to create a specific large dark spot on my gas giant, however, when I attempt to do a SSS or PS my shape is horrible stretched. I am doing this all after any warping of the initial planet form. I have also tried a computer terrain before my mask. Any ideas why it would stretch like this?

Matt

Simple Shape Shader is based in 2D, so all positions with the same X and Z positions look the same to it. If what you need is a circle then I would try using a Distance Shader which works in 3D. It calculates distances from a 3D position (the position of a camera node that you plug into it). You'll need to be careful to make sure the position is really on the surface of the planet, otherwise it will be less predictable.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Another way to do this is with an Image Map Shader projected through a camera which you point towards the planet.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

I would place the SSS at the "North pole" (0,0,0) and then put a transform node (+90deg in the x rotation) before the surface layer.
This will bring the SSS to the equator.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: Matt on March 04, 2018, 05:04:53 PM
Simple Shape Shader is based in 2D, so all positions with the same X and Z positions look the same to it. If what you need is a circle then I would try using a Distance Shader which works in 3D. It calculates distances from a 3D position (the position of a camera node that you plug into it). You'll need to be careful to make sure the position is really on the surface of the planet, otherwise it will be less predictable.

Matt

I'll give this a shot, thanks, and thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

Update: So it seems you can just use the painted shader, and go into Transform, and use the 3D perspective. This works as expected.

Quote from: cyphyr on March 04, 2018, 05:59:15 PM
I would place the SSS at the "North pole" (0,0,0) and then put a transform node (+90deg in the x rotation) before the surface layer.
This will bring the SSS to the equator.

I'll give this a shot as well since I still have the SSS in a separate save. Thanks a lot.

Update: This method seems to have still warped, this time on a greater rotation. Haha. Not sure why, the setup is the same as your just more going on before the spot.

WAS

Thanks again, you two! With some final edits, you can get a somewhat convincing gas giant spot out of TG. Having a little bit of an issue with my displacement. Would like it to appear deeper, but the base planets sphere seems to prevent that (get to a flat surface displacing down too far).

[attachimg=1]

cyphyr

One possible explanation is that I generally move the planet centre to 0,0,0. The default has the north poll at 0,0,0.
Looking good :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on March 05, 2018, 04:08:05 PM
One possible explanation is that I generally move the planet centre to 0,0,0. The default has the north poll at 0,0,0.
Looking good :)

Oh that might be why. :P

Thank you.