PF Noise Painted Shader idea

Started by WAS, March 05, 2018, 06:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Was thinking, when working with painted shaders, it's great for easy masks, but when it comes to details of masks, it's pretty slow and hard to work with. It would be cool if you could pipe in a color PF with it's white/black levels used as a mask for the brush, effected by normal brush settings. It would make mask transitions a lot easier to detail, and more natural for the environment. Such as masking shorelines, etc.

Scott_TX

I was wondering the same thing.  Is there someway to mix a painted shader and a PF?
AMD 3900X with 48GB Ram GTX1660Ti

Hannes

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on March 06, 2018, 01:10:54 PM
Merge shader should do it.

That's a good way to noise your overall mask, but it doesn't give you control with the noise such as bordering, or shapes. A PF piped into your Painted Shader would give you a centered PF over your brush to use. Holding it's center relative to brush position.

WAS

Here is a quick mock in PS

Basically the PF would stay localized 0,0,0 to the brushes position.

Basically any PF piped in would act as the brushes "Stamp Function". Switching out PFs would allow a new Stamp.

Hannes

Hetzen

Yes, some sort of procedural brush would be awesome. Especially if we can design it, and plug it into the painted shader.

As a work around, if you set a wide fall off on you PS brush, you could us that as a mask for a Surface Layer. Then experiment with the break up PF so it only effects within the brush gradient, then use a Colour Adjust to tighten the output. The gamma setting will be useful to push the gradient towards black or white and get a curve on the extruded verticals when displaced. Adjusting the black level will crop into the gradient.

I've been doing something similar with my cliff entry.

Kexikus

You could also use a Painted Shader with a wide fall off as both the input and the (inverted) mask for a PF shader and then have the PF apply only black as high colour and no low colour. That gives a nice fractalized edge as well.
Works even better if you can use a Transform Input Shader to move the input of the PF a little further outward.