Object creation

Started by rosoule, March 05, 2018, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosoule

Just curious; what program do Terragen users recommend to make simple, non-organic objects and save as TGOs?

cyphyr

I use Lightwave, but any program that can export an obj will do. Once imported into Terragen you can save out the object as a tgo, although I rarely do.
I don't know of any program that saves tgo's natively apart from Terragen.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rosoule

Thanks I am going to try Wings3d. As long as I can load the Obj file and not have to do anything else but render with the material visible, don't care.

cyphyr

If you find any problems with the obj it is often helpful to put it through a program called Poseray. It seems to sort out a lot of problems with missing textures and inverted normals etc.
Also remember to model in real world dimensions. So if you model a 1m square box, make it 1m square in Wings3d.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

ajcgi

Whatever's 3d-ish and to hand.  ;D
Anything Autodesk might look at, buy and ruin. I'll use that.  8)

jaf

I use Lightwave.  I like that 1 meter in LW is 1 meter in Terragen.  You can model a 100m structure set at y=0 and model an antenna and position it on the building in LW and then delete the building from the scene and save the antenna as a new object.  When imported separately into TG, the antenna will be positioned exactly where you put it in Lightwave.

I sure there are other modeling apps that can do that.  It saves a lot of time.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

masonspappy

I've been using Blender for 7-8 years now, and have sold some of my object creations.  (BOL for a brown sleigh or an antique black truck).
Once you get a handle on the interface and it's (admittedly screwy) way of handling object creation and export, it's kinda cool.

WAS

Quote from: masonspappy on March 06, 2018, 07:53:21 PM
I've been using Blender for 7-8 years now, and have sold some of my object creations.  (BOL for a brown sleigh or an antique black truck).
Once you get a handle on the interface and it's (admittedly screwy) way of handling object creation and export, it's kinda cool.

I second Blender. It's a great program. Over the years it seems more professional aimed tutorials have started costing money but nevertheless, there is tons out there to learn from.

It sometimes gets a bad rap like being like the GIMP of the 3D world, and while the GIMP team is lacking these days, for the longest time it could do literally anything Photoshop could do, granted differently, so the stigma wasn't well put.