Terragen 4.1 Lag

Started by WAS, March 08, 2018, 02:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I just got back into Terragen as I have a new computer and thought I"d get better result times. While renders are faster, while rendering, my computer continuously locks up for moments at a time. This has never happened in the past except when a render is finishing it will briefly lag while it does it's last ambient occlusion (?) pass. Sometimes it'll lock up if the preview is open while working in PFs as well, so I have to pause the preview always which I also used to never really do.

I have a AMD A10 which is a APU, but the GPU is as disabled as possible for use with a RX 480 Nitro+ 8gb.

Is Terragen more demanding now? I mean, I didn't even have issues with it back on a AMD K7 series with 512mb RAM with TG2. Or even my 2004 Xeon X5450 with 4-8GB RAM, which I did use Terragen 4.0 on.

Update: As a note, this wasn't an issue with Terragen 4.0 which I just updated to 4.1.

Oshyan

There were some threading changes between 4.0 and 4.1, though mainly to do with the 3D preview I believe. You can try manually changing the # of threads/cores detected in Preferences to 1 less than you actually have and it can improve responsiveness with usually a very modest impact on render time (for high core count systems especially).

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on March 09, 2018, 12:05:56 AM
There were some threading changes between 4.0 and 4.1, though mainly to do with the 3D preview I believe. You can try manually changing the # of threads/cores detected in Preferences to 1 less than you actually have and it can improve responsiveness with usually a very modest impact on render time (for high core count systems especially).

- Oshyan

Thanks, that will come in handy. I also noticed Windows 10 didn't remove all of Terragen's file, and also prevented the installer from overriding the files that remained.. :O Fresh install seems to be running better, though a little stutter still here and there changing options.

Oshyan

Hmm, if Win 10 is interfering with the update process for some reason, that *miiight* explain some issues. A clean install would certainly be advised if there were any hiccups in the update process.

- Oshyan

WAS

I have had a lot of issues with Windows 10 and it's file protection. I'll install games, and not be able to edit files, even though I am an administrator. I have to use a third party program to unlock the files. Even if I change the "ownership" and permissions, they don't stick. It's bizarre. I've turned to installing games and such outside of Program Files.

ajcgi

I just had my work machine switched from a 40core machine on windows 10 to a 24 core on windows 7. Marginally higher clock speed on this but practically no delays at all. It feels much faster in Terragen than the 10 machine did.

Hetzen

I've noticed any change to large  networks, even just unplugging a node can cause long delays before ui unlocks. Turin g preview off sorts that.

I've worked on big core count machines and have realised that for designing in the ui, a faster clock speed is best. After working on the new AMD Thread Ripper  and the new i9 chips my i9 10 core chip has been a pleasure to work on. Larger core machines work best on rendering frames.

I'm starting to get annoyed with win 10.

jaf

I've been noticing "lags" in other apps, like Libre Office Calc (spreadsheet.)  I been using a spreadsheet for many years -- since 1995 actually.  It's basically the same -- tracking my old 1995 Dodge truck (fuel mileage, maintenance, miles driven -- nothing very taxing.)  Generally, I simply update the current date.  This morning I loaded that spreadsheet and changed the date to today and nothing happened for several seconds.  Didn't see anything obvious looking at the Task Manager and I was disconnected from the Internet.

I think it's Win10 (maybe Defender?)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

WAS

Ok. Than I'm not crazy. I am also having issues in Photoshop with some delay before filter rendering, and now Sculptris is suspicious crashing for things that I would hardly call intensive. Even folder thumbnail previewers are taking awhile to load in, when they're cached with the system to prevent that very thing.

I wonder if it has to do with the CPU exploit patches that have been rolling out. Though it seems the biggest hits [2] that I can find are out of Intel.

digitalguru

I tried to avoid Windows 10, but when I got my new machine I was forced down that road. On the program permissions front, I always create a separate partition to install my apps to, so don't run into those ownership issues. I also turn off Microsoft Firewall and Defender and had found a couple of good free alternatives (though I'm using a paid firewall and antivirus now). I did a lot of research on how to "jailbreak" my Windows - turning off telemetry, apps, automatic updates etc - there are quite a few little apps that can guide you through this as well.

I did all this when I first installed my copy of Windows 10, so I really couldn't tell you if it has improved the performance of my machine, but I haven't had any of the issues mentioned in this thread and so far Terragen has been running very smoothly.

QuoteI wonder if it has to do with the CPU exploit patches that have been rolling out.
That's possible, but I'd turned my updates off, so never got those in the first place.