Semper Vigil WIP

Started by WAS, March 09, 2018, 12:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm pretty determined lately to get some realistic cloud forms out of terrain in Terragen. Despite low quality, a little bit of doctoring in PS and you have something pretty decent. I'm still not totally satisfied. I want spots but my attempts do not look good at all, and the twist shear shader only seems to have one look from all the PF attempts I've made. Any pointers would be appreciated if you have accomplished good spots.

I intend to add a nebula using Denis's technique (really unique method) but haven't gotten around to it.

Oshyan

That actually looks really good! For spots, have you tried playing with Vortex shaders?

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on March 09, 2018, 02:58:03 AM
That actually looks really good! For spots, have you tried playing with Vortex shaders?

- Oshyan

I actually haven't for initial form, I theorized that I'd need to come up with some sort of shape form mask before I add like vortex to it's detail. I'll have to give it a try. I was able to use the functions to give me some circles, but I'm not able to fractal warp them to naturalize their shape.

Oshyan

The vortex has a size, so it sort of "confines" itself, i.e. you don't need a shape to put it into... if that's what you meant? Give it a shot.

- Oshyan

WAS

Wasn't able to get anything out of the vortex, I am not sure if it's my orientation and understanding of the coordinates on the planet, or what.

But I did spend a long while adjusting the scale and displacement of a PF and was able to get some large wraps, most of them too jagged for good appearance, but there were a couple I was able to mask in with a painted shader that look rather nice.

Some post work to reduce noise, and accent features, and a little blurring on random rough spots in the "clouds" and you got a really nice gas giant.