Website + forum scheduled downtime

Started by Oshyan, March 10, 2018, 03:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Hi all, we will be migrating our web systems to a new server in the wee hours of Monday morning, Pacific Time. Migration is scheduled to start around Midnight (12AM) Pacific and should be completed by 8AM Pacific Time. The website will display a Maintenance message during this time, and the forums will likewise be closed to new posts. If you visit the site and see the forums open for posting, then you're seeing it on the new server. Post away!

Although we have done our best to test all services on the new server prior to this migration, there is a small chance there will be something that doesn't work quite right after the switch. If so please let us know in a reply here or email support AT planetside.co.uk and we'll take care of it ASAP.

Update: the migration should now be complete, however there was an error made by our web host during the process, and it caused some problems for some site visitors. If you're reading this message things are probably fine now, but you can read details on Facebook just in case: https://www.facebook.com/PlanetsideSoftware/posts/1636537949748077

- Oshyan

Dune

mhaze

Indeed, good luck, hope it all goes smoothly

luvsmuzik

Will this require a new login? If so, just email me the link now to create a new password....hahaha. I can't blame Win10 for this one at least. Good luck! :)

Oshyan

Nothing will change, all the same data, systems, etc. Just a new server. No worries. :)

- Oshyan

KlausK

Hm, since you moved to your new server I cannot reach planetside. co.uk anymore.
Right after you started the downtime I saw the "404 we are moving" page,
now your internet address changes to something else when I try to connect.
None of my former shortcuts works. Even the update function in TG`s "Help" menu returns an error.
Any ideas? Does that happen to other users from Switzerland too, perhaps?
This is via Mozilla`s Firefox ESR 52.6.0 (32-bit).
Right now I am connecting via Tor browser.

Hints and help appreciated.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

I don't have this problem; 32-bit as well, win 7 and Firefox. All works as usual. Did you try finding it again through the main site http://www.planetside.co.uk ?

KlausK

Thank you, Dune. But all of planetside.co.uk is affected.
Looks like I picked up some sort of Redirect Virus / Malware thing somehow.
Of course, I have no idea, when where and how. I did not install anything whatsoever in the last two month.
And this shit usually comes with some installer, afaik.
As far as I can see only planetside.co.uk is affected. All the other I frequent work ok.
Darn, I really don`t feel like loosing time on this nonsense. grrrr...

Well, I will run some anti-malware and registry scans today, perhaps I am lucky.
If that does not help, a fresh computer setup is in order.
As long as I can get in here with Tor...

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Didn't some websites get a false negative from some virus scanner?

luvsmuzik

Wonder if your virus software has a log of restrictions or blocked sites in activity list? Like block, always allow type of thing? I assume you have reset modem and all that other jazz sometimes that has to be done?

Oshyan

Hey everyone. Turns out this issue was on our end (caused by our web hosting company misconfiguring something). Very sorry about this! Details below:

On Monday, March 12th at approximately 6AM Pacific Time our web hosting company made a severe configuration error during a routine migration to a new server. This caused some visitors to our website to be redirected to a domain that we do not own or have any control of. This may have triggered warnings from your web browser or antivirus software regarding possible scam or malware activity. This is not the result of any malware on our website, but rather it is due to the configuration issue which misdirects some of our website visitors to a completely different website.

We corrected the error as soon as possible, but unfortunately due to the nature of the configuration issue which caused it, it will take up to 48 hours be fully resolved. Additionally, since the issue was the result of a DNS misconfiguration, we cannot simply take down our website or do anything else to address the issue besides simply wait for the correct DNS information to be mirrored across the global Internet.

It does not affect all visitors, those of you who have successfully connected to our main website or forums within the last 24hrs should be unaffected. For anyone else we unfortunately have to recommend that you not visit our website (planetside .co .uk) until Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 10PM Pacific Time. This is approximately 34 hours from the time of this posting, since 14 hours have already passed following the correction of the error.

We deeply regret any issues caused by this problem. We will be working with our web hosting company to ensure that they address whatever circumstances allowed this error to be made and that they do everything possible to prevent such mistakes in the future. We at Planetside Software will also be creating new procedures and system checks to help ensure correct configuration in the future. We appreciate your patience and understanding while this issue is addressed. We will post an update when we are confident that all visitors will arrive at the correct website.

- Oshyan

Dune

Too bad the affected users can't read this  :P Funny enough, I was in the middle of checking all new posts when it suddenly didn't refresh anymore and the updating had started.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: Dune on March 14, 2018, 03:05:18 AM
Too bad the affected users can't read this  :P Funny enough, I was in the middle of checking all new posts when it suddenly didn't refresh anymore and the updating had started.

I was affected and can now read it.

KlausK

OK, let`s hope for the best. Tried this morning before I read this. For now, I still get redirected.
CHeers, Klaus

archonforest

I was also redirected to an interesting website...first I thought I landed on an updated MakeHuman site... :D but the modells were just too real... :P
Thx God nobody were watching my screen.... ;D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd