Is there anything like Terraconverter for TG2

Started by rosoule, March 11, 2018, 03:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosoule

WAS

Quote from: rosoule on March 11, 2018, 03:42:34 PM

What is TerraConverter? All I can find is  Terraria (game) map converter, and a unit converter for Android.

rosoule

- Program for converting Terragen terrain files into other formats (TIFF, GeoTIFF, PGM) and back. Supports 16 bit color depth.
It was for the earlier version of Terragen, but I have always used TG2 and there was a similar program that I could load any TIFF file and save it as a TER file.

WAS

Quote from: rosoule on March 11, 2018, 04:50:42 PM
- Program for converting Terragen terrain files into other formats (TIFF, GeoTIFF, PGM) and back. Supports 16 bit color depth.
It was for the earlier version of Terragen, but I have always used TG2 and there was a similar program that I could load any TIFF file and save it as a TER file.

Terragen doesn't save any actual geometry. It's all just textual data which is interpreted by TG. You can make topography maps with the camera and some adjustments to a scene such as making it gray scale with your lighting overtop. I haven't done it myself by pointed a friend in the right direction who exported topography maps into UE4.

rosoule

Nope, but thanks. The attached image shows the displacement I am talking about.
I made a spiral gradient in Photoshop, saved as a TER file with a Terraconverter or something like that. When I loaded it, I got the spiral tower with no displacement needed like any TER file

luvsmuzik

Do you have a working version 9?  I too used to export most terrains in all formats. Been awhile, but couldn't you load a tiff, or did we have to convert from BMP?  My old TG9 file has Terra Painter even, but I am missing codecs or Vis basic and it no longer works with latest Win10 reset.Can you somehow split RGB? This is a Dune cyphyr question, or Oshyan.

You can do that displacement with an inverted crater and a strata and outcrops.Change the angles in tilt.

rosoule

I never had anything but TG2, but when I located Terraconverter I thought I was good to go, but can't get it to work at all. See my attached image for demo

Oshyan

Terraconverter still works since Terragen 2-4 can still load and save to .ter. Additionally TG4 supports saving to EXR in the Professional version (from heightfields).

- Oshyan

Dune

If you have a Photoshop gradient, why not save and  load directly as greyscale 16-bit TIFF and add displacement? Much easier. Have you experimented with a circular simple shape displacement and a vortex warp shader?

rosoule

Got it to work. When in doubt, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS Thanks again, y'all

luvsmuzik

Quote from: rosoule on March 12, 2018, 02:55:26 PM
Got it to work. When in doubt, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS Thanks again, y'all

You must not be using Win10? I am experiencing problems with older programs but like some others, even the latest whiz bang content lags like when we were running win95 22 years ago. My drivers update automatically, so either they delete necessary files when that happens or something else is the cause.

rosoule

You are right. Windows 10 is awesome since they worked out the kinks, but Terraconverter is not working correctly and of course I have Windows 10. Not just me then.