Basic Gas Giant

Started by WAS, March 13, 2018, 04:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Refined my original setup which was a mess of somewhere around 30 nodes. I knew a lot of what I was doing was "stacking" rather than achieving something unique with less PFs. If that makes sense. In fact, I believe I have created a better Gas Giant than my previous, with half the nodes, and added global clouds displaced by the terrains same displacement (thinking of possible altering this), so it mixes with the spots. Spots are also still masked in with the master cloud form displacement as the spots PF is rather chaotic.

Forgive my rich colors. I have a thing for this sort of color palette.

Post processing: Levels (increased mid-point), Bloom (made an action based on levels and Gaussian blur and desaturation), High-Pass + Smart Sharpen.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Chris-HB

Great  :) ! How did you do this?

WAS

Quote from: Chris-HB on March 24, 2018, 04:18:14 PM
Great  :) ! How did you do this?

It's basically based on gas giant designs seen around the forums, however utilizing large scale fractals, and lots of color blending, as well as some warping and atmospheric clouds using the same warper.

Have a look at the TGD.

N-drju

Good attempt. I like it. Must have been a lot of work with the masks - especially the cyclones.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on March 26, 2018, 02:30:28 AM
Good attempt. I like it. Must have been a lot of work with the masks - especially the cyclones.

Those spots I basically just made a large PF warper, and than played with seeds until I found nice spots I liked. Than I just remembered their positions and than masked them in with the painted shader set to 3D. Masking in the spots was necessary because the rest of the PF map creates undesirable shapes.

luvsmuzik

Worth the look. If you have time follow a few of the links. Esp. presentation by Stephen Levin about Juno.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180521.html

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on May 22, 2018, 10:04:14 AM
Worth the look. If you have time follow a few of the links. Esp. presentation by Stephen Levin about Juno.

Wow that's really cool. I really hope they put up a geosynchronous satellite one day to actually observe the clouds in vivid detail. While this is really cool, you can tell they used a single image and data they collected to manipulate it.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: WASasquatch on May 22, 2018, 12:46:50 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on May 22, 2018, 10:04:14 AM

Wow that's really cool. I really hope they put up a geosynchronous satellite one day to actually observe the clouds in vivid detail. While this is really cool, you can tell they used a single image and data they collected to manipulate it.

Sounded like they have to get a camera that won't melt first, lol. ;D  Did you get a chance to see the images of pole positions infrared?

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on May 22, 2018, 12:52:32 PM
Sounded like they have to get a camera that won't melt first, lol. ;D  Did you get a chance to see the images of pole positions infrared?

I did! Really cool. I've tried to come back to the warping and tried to imitate the shapes more closely but haven't gotten it down still yet.

J_Con

Really nice planet..beyond my comprehension. :P  That animation is mesmerizing.