The height map terrain is always small compared to the world in Terragen!

Started by CG MANIA, March 15, 2018, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CG MANIA

What am I doing wrong? every time I import a height map from World Machine, the terrain looks very small compared to the existing Terragen terrain, My imported mountains look like minitures compared to existing Terragen mountains.
How do I resize it? does it come in with a default size? is it 1Km by 1Km?
In world machine I export a 24km by 24km and I bring it in Terragen and it feels so small compared to one mountain in Terragen. I'm doing something wrong.

Oshyan

What format are you using to export from Terragen? World Machine has had a long-standing bug where it does not correctly support height and size scaling for the .ter format. All other formats that Terragen supports *do not include scaling information*. So it will default to 1 meter per pixel. You can easily adjust this with a Heightfield Resize node.

- Oshyan

CG MANIA

I export tiff from World Machine. And when I import in Terragen it defaults to ter in the windows explorer dialogue box, I choose "All files" and import the tiff.
I know I can export ter file from World Machine, do I need to do that?

digitalguru

I always export .ter from World Machine and haven't had a problem with it - I also initially export an .obj to load into Maya and both formats have matched in scale with Terragen.

p.s I haven't tried to export a terrain from WM at 24 x 24 km, the default is 8 km I think - try a test with that and outputting a .ter file to start with.