Vertical problem with cloud warping

Started by Denis Sirenko, March 05, 2018, 01:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

You are going to spoil all of my surprises ....such fun!

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: Hetzen on March 17, 2018, 11:31:56 AM
Clouds work differently to ground displacement. The ground works with surface normals, clouds work on the volume defined by the white value you're plugging in.

So in the example you posted above, your SSS tubes are defining what is white and you are trying to redirect/vector displace that in x and z. What you should be doing is warping the texture space using a Warp Input node. Y/altitude will be defined by your cloud layer's depth and altitude.

Yes, yes, we seem to have already decided this, thanks.

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 17, 2018, 12:50:24 PM

What kind of surprise?

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Denis Sirenko on March 17, 2018, 01:09:17 PM
Quote from: Hetzen on March 17, 2018, 11:31:56 AM
Clouds work differently to ground displacement. The ground works with surface normals, clouds work on the volume defined by the white value you're plugging in.

So in the example you posted above, your SSS tubes are defining what is white and you are trying to redirect/vector displace that in x and z. What you should be doing is warping the texture space using a Warp Input node. Y/altitude will be defined by your cloud layer's depth and altitude.

Yes, yes, we seem to have already decided this, thanks.

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 17, 2018, 12:50:24 PM

What kind of surprise?

Oh, I have just been doing some more experimenting after Dune and Hetzen directed me on some cirrus cloud warping. I have picked up a few examples of noise here and there run through the density shaders. I tried a few simple blue nodes and some warp on the cumulus cloud. You do things more detailed than I do and at grander scale, as I do this just for fun. Glad you are asking the right questions though, as my phraseology is certainly artistic rather than technical. :)

Denis Sirenko

Clearly, Luvsmuzik. I think I will have a few more questions about the TG, I'm here to torture everyone :)