Custom Cliff

Started by WAS, March 22, 2018, 01:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Using SSS and some fractalization and lean with Daniil's Classic Erosion used for maps to mask in some variations with the flow and streamline maps. Didn't actually erode any terrain just piping out the maps to use as masks for PFs.  Kinda like the effect, just need to work on the surface detail PF. Little spiky.

N-drju

Yes, you may want to decrease spikiness and roughness. But otherwise than that, it looks like a good attempt.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

I think the roughness is actually very close to great, for a rough, coarse dirt hill, the kind that would erode very quickly (relatively speaking). Very familiar to me in parts of California, and a texture rarely well represented in computer graphics. I'd like to see a higher detail rendering of this though, my impression is Micropoly Detail and/or AA may be a bit low?

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on March 23, 2018, 06:17:07 PM
I think the roughness is actually very close to great, for a rough, coarse dirt hill, the kind that would erode very quickly (relatively speaking). Very familiar to me in parts of California, and a texture rarely well represented in computer graphics. I'd like to see a higher detail rendering of this though, my impression is Micropoly Detail and/or AA may be a bit low?

- Oshyan

I'm glad you caught that, I was actually going for some of the loose formations you see around the Valley of the Kings

I rendered this at the max I could at 0.6 and AA 6. I'm going to work on the colors and see if I can't fix some of the spikes in a future rendition.

Hannes

Quote from: WASasquatch on March 23, 2018, 09:18:23 PM
I'm glad you caught that, I was actually going for some of the loose formations you see around the Valley of the Kings

I rendered this at the max I could at 0.6 and AA 6. I'm going to work on the colors and see if I can't fix some of the spikes in a future rendition.

Wait a minute... the last image is a reference image of the valley of the kings, right?
And you're referring to the previous image you rendered at 0.6/6?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on March 24, 2018, 06:10:32 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on March 23, 2018, 09:18:23 PM

Wait a minute... the last image is a reference image of the valley of the kings, right?
And you're referring to the previous image you rendered at 0.6/6?

I think the last image is actually TG4 Hannes...and pretty durn awesome I might add.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

No, the most recent image is reference/photo.

Understood about the detail max, that makes sense. This might be one of those rare cases where a higher detail is desirable, e.g. 0.75 or even 0.8-9.

- Oshyan