Fake Stones Scale Function

Started by WAS, March 22, 2018, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm curious about this function. I tried to check the wiki, but it doesn't seem to be updated with any information about it. Does anyone know how they may use this function to vary stone sizes? I've been trying a number of stuff and so far been just breaking the stones.   :-[

Matt

It only works well when the scale function is a constant. It's useful if you want to change the sizes of all the stones in a network because you can have many different layers controlled by a single node which acts as a master scale multiplier. This might be useful when sharing a node clip between different scenes.

It's not really designed to let you vary the scale of the stones in different parts of the terrain. That doesn't work well because the scale function works by resizing the texture space, and this basically warps the stones in unexpected ways.

I do have plans for updating this shader in future with a better way to vary the scale.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on March 23, 2018, 05:40:00 AM
It only works well when the scale function is a constant. It's useful if you want to change the sizes of all the stones in a network because you can have many different layers controlled by a single node which acts as a master scale multiplier. This might be useful when sharing a node clip between different scenes.

It's not really designed to let you vary the scale of the stones in different parts of the terrain. That doesn't work well because the scale function works by resizing the texture space, and this basically warps the stones in unexpected ways.

I do have plans for updating this shader in future with a better way to vary the scale.

Matt

Oh I get it, it's really just essentially the scale, but a "scale function" similar to cloud features. Should have guessed.  :P Guess I lead myself astray excited by a possible size variance ability all in one fake stone shader and surface shader.

Thanks Matt.