Terragen Unoffical Material Challenge

Started by WAS, March 22, 2018, 11:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I've got an idea! Let's all do a little challenge. Let's create materials to submit to the Materials thread in file sharing. It's seems to be serious lacking materials, and I think we can do better. ;)

Challenge Rules
1. Choose a unique material type
2. Recreate your material in Terragen
3. Use real-world (or relative) sizes
4. Submit an example image here, and share the TGC/TGD in the Materials thread.
5. Quality & Post Processing: Polygon Detail: 0.6 Max Anti-Aliasing: 6 Max and post processing is allowed on example image, it's pretty common for TG.

On April 22nd, we can call the challenge "officially" over (though I'd encourage people to keep at it and submit some nice materials). and vote on the results on who mastered the material they were going for.

I've decided the material I will try and recreate is Granite, though when I went searching I very quickly realized there are tons of types of granite. With that in mind I am specifically going to recreate Gran Perla Granite.

Contestants

WASasquatch
Subject: Gran Perla Granite
Reference Image: http://pic.stonecontact.com/picture/natural-stone/gran-perla-granite-tile-5672-1B.JPG (Not recreating a cut and polished surface but raw)
Entry:
[attach=1] [attach=2]
Example Files

cyphyr

Excellent idea.  8)

May I add that we should include a photo of the material being replicated.

I doubt I will be able to take part as I'm pretty much stuck on a surface pro.

Looking forward to seeing some cool results :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on March 23, 2018, 12:26:05 AM
Excellent idea.  8)

May I add that we should include a photo of the material being replicated.

I doubt I will be able to take part as I'm pretty much stuck on a surface pro.

Looking forward to seeing some cool results :)

Ditto, great idea! That's actually why I'm back here so soon haha. You may be able to do something like I am doing, it's on a small scale and at 0.6/0.6 quality settings, it did render in a few minutes on my old AMD A10. It takes much longer to render now though after I added some more mixes. Lol

WAS

And here is my submission... Gran Perla Granite (reference image in original post).

Will release the shader in the morning. Need to rearrange some stuff and rename some stuff. Much too tired. Spent probably 3-4 hours trying to get the reflection on the Mica to look nice. Miserable failure on that part. Really disappointed I couldn't get some more reflection at the camera.

Hannes

Cool idea!!! You can never have enough materials, so keep on after April 22nd!

luvsmuzik

My son works with granite every day. Yours is a great representation. I like marble as well, and it is so difficult to get the streaking right..your recent work on your Gas Giant looked so interesting. Hope you clue us in on that one. :)

Hannes' and others great contributions to the Materials Library have helped many of us with the setup examples for materials. Reflection seems to be so tricky, but many examples show high gloss, medium and dull.

There used to be some wiki links about this, still available?

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on March 23, 2018, 09:35:34 AM
Cool idea!!! You can never have enough materials, so keep on after April 22nd!

Thanks Hanne's! Hope you decide to join! Kind of a OCD requestion, could you maybe rename the Materials topic "Materials Library" like the Cloud Library? :P

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 23, 2018, 10:04:01 AM
My son works with granite every day. Yours is a great representation. I like marble as well, and it is so difficult to get the streaking right..your recent work on your Gas Giant looked so interesting. Hope you clue us in on that one. :)

Hannes' and others great contributions to the Materials Library have helped many of us with the setup examples for materials. Reflection seems to be so tricky, but many examples show high gloss, medium and dull.

There used to be some wiki links about this, still available?

I am not sure what to do about the reflection. I want mica to reflect like it naturally does, being straight flakes, but the surace doesn't allow that without smoothing which immediately breaks when you use the shader for anything other than a smooth terrain. And even with the rough terrain somehow not a single angle faces the camera? Just ugh. I looked over these topics about fresnel but was unable to translate over to reflective shader.

As for Marble, the Gas Giant Approach with stretching and fractalizing might be a good starting point. I released one of the giants in the file section.

Posted the example files over on the Materials thread.

WAS

Just a friendly bump for this community challenge. Hoping to see some entries.