My own challenge

Started by Hannes, March 26, 2018, 04:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I had no idea what do do next, so I remembered my own advice: take a real photograph and try to replicate it as good as possible, which is great for learning how to create realistic images.
I had a nice wallpaper for a two screen setup for some time, and I thought let's give it a go.

The upper one is the photograph and the lower one is my render.

Lady of the Lake

Wow, this is awesome.  Great challenge to yourself.

Oshyan

Impressive! You even matched some parts of the cloud shape on the left. Projected mask, random luck, or what?

- Oshyan

Hannes

I wish I could say, that I did this or that, but it was random luck. I had a good laugh after I hit the seed button a hundred times and I got this. ;D

WAS

*Casually looks back to his project... File -> Exit*

Lol that's really impressive. I do notice the shadows inside the forest don't seem as dark as they should though, but overall it took me a minute of looking between them. The bloom in the wallpaper and such threw me off.

Dune

Absolutely Great Work! Clouds are even better in TG.

For perfection you'd need smooth reflections and a tiny bit of dirtstripe on the beach, and less color variation in the right distance greens.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on March 27, 2018, 01:42:01 AM
For perfection you'd need smooth reflections and a tiny bit of dirtstripe on the beach, and less color variation in the right distance greens.

I made a rockwall that i didn't liked and saw a photo just 1 day later that looked nearly the same.
I nitpick at the world around me too, so yeah always room for more perfection :P

cyphyr

You should have left it up to the viewer to decide which is the photo and which is the render!
Great work :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

Thanks again! Maybe I'll try to change some more things to make it more similar. Sounds tempting...

ajcgi

I clicked to enlarge the image then immediately forgot which was which. Took me and my colleagues here ages to figure out the bottom one was the CG one. I'd imagine you'd fool a lot of people with this one. Really well done!

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on March 27, 2018, 02:38:27 AM
Quote from: Dune on March 27, 2018, 01:42:01 AM

I made a rockwall that i didn't liked and saw a photo just 1 day later that looked nearly the same.
I nitpick at the world around me too, so yeah always room for more perfection :P

I know the same feeling. I'll see warping in stone in my scenes and scrap it thinking it just looks too funny, and than see almost identical formations in the geology groups I am in

Quote from: Hannes on March 27, 2018, 03:13:45 AM
Thanks again! Maybe I'll try to change some more things to make it more similar. Sounds tempting...
It would be cool to see how photorealistic you could get it. It's already superb

archonforest

Wow!!!! Well done for this.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

Thanks guys! I'm already changing some things.

SILENCER

Nicely done.
Handled it like a boss.

It's an interesting challenge: replicate a real world photo to the best of your ability.

You nailed it, especially on that sandbar.
Enjoy a whiskey.