Careful starting TG while windows updates

Started by WAS, March 27, 2018, 09:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Apparently TG doesn't like when Windows 10 is updating. I was wondering why things were laggy, and taking twice as long to render, than I checked settings.... the only explanation i could find was Windows 10 was performing a installation of a security update that I hadn't noticed, it was finished by the time I even checked but was running when I had sat down and started TG.

The image shows 1 cores, even when it was overrided to 4 cores (even though it detects four just fine, I was just using 3 sometimes when having issues with preview)

Oshyan

You're saying that you think the actual Preferences got changed to override and use 1 core, without your intervention? There's no way I can think of that this would happen, TG doesn't do anything automatic with this setting...

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on March 28, 2018, 03:42:46 PM
You're saying that you think the actual Preferences got changed to override and use 1 core, without your intervention? There's no way I can think of that this would happen, TG doesn't do anything automatic with this setting...

- Oshyan

Oh no, not override, the automatic detection detected 1 cores whiles the PC was updating.

Oshyan

The screenshot you posted is showing the override of the automatic core detection and 1 core is entered. That's not what happens when Terragen auto-recognizes the number of cores on startup. So are you saying that TG wasn't using all cores and you looked in Preferences and saw that, or was it that when you started Terragen (or went to the About box while running), you saw it saying "Found 1 processor cores" and it did *not* say "user override"? Basically the screenshot you showed doesn't indicate that the auto-detect malfunctioned, so I wonder if you're extrapolating a correlation here that may not have actually happened (between Windows update and TG core detection).

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on March 30, 2018, 05:23:26 PM
The screenshot you posted is showing the override of the automatic core detection and 1 core is entered. That's not what happens when Terragen auto-recognizes the number of cores on startup. So are you saying that TG wasn't using all cores and you looked in Preferences and saw that, or was it that when you started Terragen (or went to the About box while running), you saw it saying "Found 1 processor cores" and it did *not* say "user override"? Basically the screenshot you showed doesn't indicate that the auto-detect malfunctioned, so I wonder if you're extrapolating a correlation here that may not have actually happened (between Windows update and TG core detection).

- Oshyan

Yeah sorry the screenshot is misleading. Basically I was rendering and thought that I was still overrided to 3 cores, as I had done this a couple times when having preview crashes. But it was set to automatic, which only detected one core. I just derped and took the screenshot after clicking override to enter in 4 cores (when I had the thought to report what happened).  The screenshot was only really to show the integer of "1" which had never been entered into the program. I have only ever changed it once or twice, to a 3, pretty bad miss if I hit a 1, but also no issues with rendering previous to the security update and deciding to run TG while it was undergoing a update.

Oshyan

Hmm, strange, but still not sure we're 100% understanding each other. Was the "1" in there when you opened the dialog? If so you must have done that accidentally. Terragen never changes that value, it's a *user* override.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on March 31, 2018, 04:39:53 PM
Hmm, strange, but still not sure we're 100% understanding each other. Was the "1" in there when you opened the dialog? If so you must have done that accidentally. Terragen never changes that value, it's a *user* override.

- Oshyan

When you start Terragen, Terragen automatically detects the number of cores your machine has, and enters it into the box, even though it's grayed out. This is essentially showing you the setting that Terragen is using. It wasn't set to override, and became a 1, because upon starting, Terragen detected a change in the machine, and somehow decided there was only one core to work off of.

Please try to ignore the fact I checked the override box all together. That was done to change it to a 4 to force correct number of cores, and had only ever been used in the past to enter in a 3 for certain projects where I've always reverted to automatic detection which than changes it to a 4. I just decided to take the screenshot and report the oddity after already having clicked the override box. That has nothing to do with the issue. Even if I did put in a 1 at some other point, TG should have automatically reverted to actual Core count as Override wasn't checked.

I started Terragen during a system update, and Terragen only detected 1 core off my AMD A10, a inherently finicky and buggy CPU made for gaming and ironically not compatible with many games (could be the issue there to begin with). I proceeded to use the program as normal and notice everything lagging and freezing in my project, and the render wasn't even starting to render after 5 minutes, so I checked the settings where I discovered there was only "1" core in the grayed out non-overrided input box.

This wasn't posted in order to expose some sort of error with Terragen, but that when Windows 10 is performing some updates and you decide to use Terragen, it may not discover all your cores as it should, so if you discover TG is just acting weird and slow, may be your system updating when you launched TG and a similar issue.

Oshyan

Thanks for the clarification, I think it was just a misunderstanding. Sorry I didn't get it before, but all makes sense now I think (except for why TG would detect just 1 core, but that may be an oddity of your CPU or how Windows was handling the update).

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on April 01, 2018, 05:18:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification, I think it was just a misunderstanding. Sorry I didn't get it before, but all makes sense now I think (except for why TG would detect just 1 core, but that may be an oddity of your CPU or how Windows was handling the update).

- Oshyan

That's what I thought. The CPU I have being a first gen APU just has issues. For example Adobe Photoshops GPU acceleration always crashes and I get an error on start "Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, features disabled, blah blah blah" Those features have literally never worked on this PC.