Is this possible?

Started by WAS, March 28, 2018, 03:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm not sure how to explain this, but is it possible for Terragen to handle convolution matrixes? Usually pixel manipulation, but can also be multichannel vector convolution. There are some really neat effects you can create from a basic matrix pallet (0..1 value for each matrix value). Maybe Daniil would have a better idea if TG could. It would allow sharpening fractals, or blurring them, or creating interesting effects to use in texturing. Like wood grain based on a stretched smooth PF.

Daniil

This makes sense only for raster data, e. g. heightfields. So yes, you could apply this to fractal, but you would need to sample this fractal first to convert it to raster form.

WAS

Quote from: blinkfrog on March 28, 2018, 03:40:22 AM
This makes sense only for raster data, e. g. heightfields. So yes, you could apply this to fractal, but you would need to sample this fractal first to convert it to raster form.

Oh I see, that makes sense. I think it'd really be a cool feature. I've made some cool textures that just translate over a bit rough, some blurring would be excellent, or vice versa of softer forms that just need a bit of sharpening without changing the whole form with the color roughness.

N-drju

I may be wrong, but isn't it actually what the pixel filter does? Sharpening, blurring, etc.? But you probably look for a way to modify items while still building a project. Not during rendering, right?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on March 28, 2018, 05:15:25 AM
I may be wrong, but isn't it actually what the pixel filter does? Sharpening, blurring, etc.? But you probably look for a way to modify items while still building a project. Not during rendering, right?

It can be 2D or 3D. It isn't exclusive to pixels, no, though that is the bases for all original Photoshop filters. As Daniil said, it would be more appropriate for a roster image with heightmaps, but still powerful.