Wait what? SSS artifacts

Started by WAS, March 28, 2018, 11:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I wanted to make a quick example of tire tracks in Terragen, and when I went and did the first render, I noticed more tracks than there should be. I'm not sure what the issue is here. There are marks on the right side as well when you mess with texture colors and sun position. There is only 4 SSS shapes, and those are the main tracks prominently visisble, 2 overlayed for each track. The rise form mud and fall from tires.

TGD is modified but track issue still visible. Was trying to solve it.

Dune

It's in the combination of a large patch size in compute terrain and intersect underlying. The last surface shader takes information from the whole line.
Better anyway to do this smallscale stuff in a surface shader somewhere after a compute (if you even need one).

WAS

Quote from: Dune on March 29, 2018, 01:07:40 AM
It's in the combination of a large patch size in compute terrain and intersect underlying. The last surface shader takes information from the whole line.
Better anyway to do this smallscale stuff in a surface shader somewhere after a compute (if you even need one).

Makes sense-ish. Though what is causing that? Why would the compute patch size create mirroring like that? It repeats a few times so seems odd and unrelated to patch size by appearance. And the fact it's interacting  with elements such as reflection and everything else without actually having geometry.

N-drju

If you don't mind, I'll keep a track of your tracks. ;) As luck would have it, I don't have my TG computer on me right now. But I'll check this .tgd when back home. Much obliged.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on March 29, 2018, 02:43:59 AM
If you don't mind, I'll keep a track of your tracks. ;) As luck would have it, I don't have my TG computer on me right now. But I'll check this .tgd when back home. Much obliged.

Go for it, the tracks are designed at a Military Humvee scale (tread and width of vehicle). Attached a TGC.

Note Terragen doesn't seem to handle a lot of transform shaders. I tried to make a set of tracks all merged together, and put them inside a Transform shader as a "Track Set" so it could be moved around, and it crashed every time I attempted to paste in, or connect the node to the transform shader.

N-drju

You even roughly nailed the type of vehicle I was after. :D May I ask where did you get the specs from? I will also need some construction vehicles like cranes too.

Don't know about transform shaders as I usually use two or four of them on average anyway. But... your idea of putting items inside of a shader reminds me of another question I, up until now, am unable to solve...! ???
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on March 29, 2018, 04:07:18 AM
You even roughly nailed the type of vehicle I was after. :D May I ask where did you get the specs from? I will also need some construction vehicles like cranes too.

Don't know about transform shaders as I usually use two or four of them on average anyway. But... your idea of putting items inside of a shader reminds me of another question I, up until now, am unable to solve...! ???

I just looked up the width of a military humvee and width of a standard off-road tire for it, I did realize I did the math wrong though for the right tire deduction. Width is 2.16 meters, so from outer rim of of tire to tire 2.1082 meters. So you should minus the right tire width from 2.1082 for the right tire placement (forget the tire width off the top of my head).

N-drju

You know... I don't think anybody would notice. ;D Only perfectionists like us, I tip my hat. ;D

Dune

You have to take care when putting shaders inside others; there's a naming issue that I sometimes stumble upon. If you don't give shaders a unique name it may happen that when importing a tgc for instance, somewhere else a shader with a same name is unhooked (and you have the 'pleasure' to search for the culprit if things don't render as expected).

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on March 29, 2018, 11:23:21 AM
You have to take care when putting shaders inside others...

Okay, so if you mentioned it again, let's talk about it too...

How can you actually put items into a shader? Like your Parkwood grass. I have never figured it out so far!

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on March 29, 2018, 12:36:34 PM
You have to take care when putting shaders inside others...

Okay, so if you mentioned it again, let's talk about it too...

How can you actually put items into a shader? Like your Parkwood grass. I have never figured it out so far!

If you right-click your shader you have an option "Internal Network" which you can click to access the internal node network of a shader. You can paste in your content there, and than back out and right click the appropriate connection and assign the shaders you put inside the network from the drop down list.

You have to take care when putting shaders inside others; there's a naming issue that I sometimes stumble upon. If you don't give shaders a unique name it may happen that when importing a tgc for instance, somewhere else a shader with a same name is unhooked (and you have the 'pleasure' to search for the culprit if things don't render as expected).

Yeah, my shaders are all usually customly named. This will happen even when just duplicating outside of a node network and and just attempting to hook up the newly pasted content (which was correctly renamed with "_X"). However, sometimes it crashes when just pasting, which it could be TG trying to change all the names without a buffer, all at once. My shaders as of late have started to get more and more complicated as I try for very specific details. :P

N-drju

Quote from: WASasquatch on March 29, 2018, 05:57:12 PM
If you right-click your shader you have an option "Internal Network" which you can click to access the internal node network of a shader. You can paste in your content there, and than back out and right click the appropriate connection and assign the shaders you put inside the network from the drop down list.

Thanks for that tip. Finally found out after six years or so. ;D ;D