something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 29, 2018, 07:32:17 PM
This is pretty clear from the pic....discuss

using the Merge shader technique that's been discussed previously

That's interesting. Shouldn't the transparency image be the transparency map, IE, it should inherently be gray-scale?, and use said data to project the image map? I'm a little confused here.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on March 29, 2018, 08:19:37 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on March 29, 2018, 07:32:17 PM
This is pretty clear from the pic....discuss

using the Merge shader technique that's been discussed previously

That's interesting. Shouldn't the transparency image be the transparency map, IE, it should inherently be gray-scale?, and use said data to project the image map? I'm a little confused here.

Using the greyscale map in the opacity channel gives you black only shadows where as using the colour image gives a filtered colour in the shadows but it doesb't seem to affect light rays.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 29, 2018, 08:35:04 PM
Using the greyscale map in the opacity channel gives you black only shadows where as using the colour image gives a filtered colour in the shadows but it doesb't seem to affect light rays.

Yeah that's what I mean. In most programs you feed translucency a grayscale image. It uses the actual texture (if available) to produce color. Otherwise it's grayscale.

Here's an example for a human head for flesh:

Or for a leaf:

This explains bad shadowing with trees where the translucency maps are grayscale and the shadows too bright or graying (in contrast to surface textures).

Dune

So, what are you merging, Bobby? I don't quite get the issue... It may be logical that a greyscale opacity map gives a grayscale light passing through, and color gives color and none gives none, but I don't understand the lightness of the first room, is that due to using the color opacity map?
And are we talking opacity or translucency here? Quite a difference.

N-drju

Hmmm, does that mean that by turning leaf opacity to green colors I could get green shadows? Because opacity images supplied with the trees are, obviously, grayscale.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 30, 2018, 01:06:38 AM
So, what are you merging, Bobby? I don't quite get the issue... It may be logical that a greyscale opacity map gives a grayscale light passing through, and color gives color and none gives none, but I don't understand the lightness of the first room, is that due to using the color opacity map?

mainly what I was messing with was taking the un-alphaed colour image and using it as an opacity map/filter as that is what it seems to do because the colours projected to the floor are the complementary colours to the ones in the glass. So the set up is a: Glass shader and a Default shader set up like described through a Merge and back into the object.
The middle image has the Default shader with just colour input and the 3rd has the greyscale in the opacity channel. It's on the other computer but in the morning  I'll post a .tgd as you can see it better rendered on your own machine.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 30, 2018, 02:58:46 AM
Quote from: Dune on March 30, 2018, 01:06:38 AM

mainly what I was messing with was taking the un-alphaed colour image and using it as an opacity map/filter as that is what it seems to do because the colours projected to the floor are the complementary colours to the ones in the glass. So the set up is a: Glass shader and a Default shader set up like described through a Merge and back into the object.
The middle image has the Default shader with just colour input and the 3rd has the greyscale in the opacity channel. It's on the other computer but in the morning  I'll post a .tgd as you can see it better rendered on your own machine.

The merge seems to make the glass appear brighter, is this the case when the light is not direct? If so it's pretty nice for realism and internal refraction from an angle.

Still have a profound issue with "coloured" grayscale maps. Makes no "logical" sense to me, as you can't properly define transparency without effecting colour. I can't even find a program that handles coloured maps from the base but as a end-user choice, but the program just interprets it as grayscale and uses texture/colour settings.