Image planes

Started by rolland1013, March 29, 2018, 08:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolland1013

Hey all,

I feel this is a something I should know, but I don't.  Can you use image planes in TG?  I'm trying to match the look at a plate and using an image plane like you would in Maya or other 3D tools would make things a lot easier.

Thanks

WAS

Quote from: rolland1013 on March 29, 2018, 08:03:24 PM
Hey all,

I feel this is a something I should know, but I don't.  Can you use image planes in TG?  I'm trying to match the look at a plate and using an image plane like you would in Maya or other 3D tools would make things a lot easier.

Thanks

I haven't tried this myself, but the image map shader allows multiple projection types, including using the camera, which would be where you'd start viewing transformation. I'm not sure the specifics with TG. I'm sure Oshyan could shed light on this.

Oshyan

There is no specific function to handle reference images or backplates, but you can indeed just use a Card object with an Image Map projected onto it. A through-camera projection of an image map attached to the Background object might also work, *if* you want atmosphere to attenuate it.

- Oshyan

rolland1013

Thanks WASa and Oshyan,

I'll give that a try. 

Oshyan, unless you guys already have it in the works, I'd like to request adding image plan functionality to a future version.

Thanks,
Niel

Oshyan

I have added a feature request for it in our issue tracker.

- Oshyan

DannyG

Quote from: rolland1013 on April 02, 2018, 01:07:17 PM
Thanks WASa and Oshyan,

I'll give that a try. 

Oshyan, unless you guys already have it in the works, I'd like to request adding image plan functionality to a future version.

Thanks,
Niel

Great idea
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on April 02, 2018, 03:12:18 PM
I have added a feature request for it in our issue tracker.

- Oshyan

good plan, thanks
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

rolland1013

Hey all,

I took a 4 month break from Terragen.  Nothing was wrong, I wasn't annoyed with the program or anything, Lol.  Other things took up my day.  Anyway it's nice to be back creating landscapes.  I'm working on a project now that I have imported an animated camera.  The camera was tracked to a backplate.  I rendered the scene out only to find that the terrain features don't line up the way I was expecting.  I know my request goes back a couple of years, but are image planes anywhere in Terragen's future?  The ability to view a backplate over my scene would be enormously helpful.

Thanks,
Niel

WAS

Have you tried a UV centered image on a card at desired dimensions?