Going back to the drawing board

Started by Matt, April 01, 2018, 05:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Because, well, 3D software is complicated.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

mhaze

This would be a great way to start a work! I spend a huge amount of time trying to recreate ideas in TG, drawing them like this would be brilliant!

N-drju

Hahahah!

Couldn't agree more. Matt, I've been toying with this idea for a long time - first, physically draw what I want and only then recreate it in a project. If only I could draw... ::)

I think you will agree with me, that we have more vivid and flexible imaginations than people with no artistic thought whatsoever. Nonetheless, it is sometimes tough to actually flesh out these ideas when you open your CG program. A reference frame of some sort can really help.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

WAS

I thought "Why isn't this headlining news!?"

This would be amazing, and the crazy thing is it's not really impossible if you think of lines on a grayscale basis for depth, and said lines being the peaks, you could theoretically create a software which renders a terrain to the peaks to export as a heightmap.

N-drju

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 02, 2018, 08:49:06 PM
...you could theoretically create a software which renders a terrain to the peaks to export as a heightmap.

I mean, it could no doubt help to create some of these more complicated features, like blocky rock walls or overhang strata.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 03, 2018, 02:04:26 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on April 02, 2018, 08:49:06 PM
...you could theoretically create a software which renders a terrain to the peaks to export as a heightmap.

I mean, it could no doubt help to create some of these more complicated features, like blocky rock walls or overhang strata.

That may be going much more complex than just a Z-dep peak setup based on distance. Peaks as in like you see in yoiur preview of a PF. Those would be the lines you create at different depths (distances). It would stich in and terrace/smooth the land depending on "Terrain" settings. Think of how a DoF map works in image processing or 3D, but translating to how far the peak is out. You're just drawing it's peak on the Y axis at whatever depth.

Dune

You can project your outlines (white/grey/black hills) by render cam and just add a displacement shader, easy as pie  ;)

bobbystahr

Wow, did my income taxes yesterday and it's looking seriously like it's time to upgrade my maintenance with this coming from Matt...
If Matt can do this now it's not long for the rest of us....this must be part of the "new terrain modeling approach" hinted at in a previous thread, again Wow
EDIT
that post was January 18, 2018, 02:47:37 PM  in announcements
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 03, 2018, 04:40:58 AM
You can project your outlines (white/grey/black hills) by render cam and just add a displacement shader, easy as pie  ;)

Very smart Ulco...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

ajcgi

Pretty sure I see a make awesome button and a spaghetti tree in there too.

Dune

Matt

Quote from: ajcgi on April 05, 2018, 11:53:04 AM
Pretty sure I see a make awesome button and a spaghetti tree in there too.

I'm glad you think so. It'll make my job a little easier :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Seth

Daniil

Quote from: Matt on April 01, 2018, 05:34:15 AM
Because, well, 3D software is complicated.
This is VERY cool (both idea and images).