Alpha Centauri

Started by Chris-HB, April 01, 2018, 10:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris-HB

This week I discovered that you can add more than one sun in Terragen 4. This is exactly what I was looking for.  :)

Below is a little render illustrating a possible planet orbiting Alpha Centauri A. The presence of earth-sized planets or super-earth worlds in the Alpha Centauri system is not yet excluded, but such planets still remain to be discovered. Each of the two stars has zones around it where long-term stable orbits are possible. For the sun-like Alpha Centauri A, this zone extends to about 1.1 times the Earth-Sun distance.

Alpha Centauri A is older and more luminous than the Sun. This means, an earth-sized planet even near the egde of the stable orbit zone would receive so much energy that is is likely to be an end time world - a desert world, locked in an escalating greenhouse climate and losing it's water into space. Heat-resistant organisms might still hold on for some time.

luvsmuzik

Great image! I assume you also know you can also have more than one planet?  :)

Chris-HB

Thank you!  :)

I have seen that I can add another planet, but did not yet figure out how to use this. Can I put the second planet into the sky, as seen from the first one?

luvsmuzik

You sure can! Search either solar system or multiple planets, many many references on how to. Do you have the TG presets package?
Geek at Play tutorials used to have a video on this. I think it is still available free on YouTube.

Chris-HB

This is great indeed. Thank you!  I will look this up. :)

bobbystahr

Nice, I really like the inclusion of a verbose description in scientific terms...gives "meat' to the matter.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist