Smoothing Filter Shader

Started by WAS, April 02, 2018, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Thank you.

Lol I just found this shader (when was this added?) and boy is it beautiful, and useful. Especially with low roughness PFs where "crimping" appears.

Matt

I'm glad you like it. It was added in v4.1.

Please show us something you make with it, no matter how basic is it :) I'm sure other people would learn from it.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

It also smoothes the strata shader, which is handy.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on April 03, 2018, 04:48:00 AM

Oooh! Thanks for that note!

René

Quote from: Dune on April 03, 2018, 04:48:00 AM

That's a good tip. Thanks!

Dune

I have spoken too soon (just checked again), as it seemed that way in a setup I had. I had the strata shader masked by some PF, and added a smooth filter, but apparently it only smoothed the PF, so it looked like smoothing the strata shader. Sorry for giving you guys hope  :-[

WAS

Quote from: Dune on April 04, 2018, 11:19:17 AM
I have spoken too soon (just checked again), as it seemed that way in a setup I had. I had the strata shader masked by some PF, and added a smooth filter, but apparently it only smoothed the PF, so it looked like smoothing the strata shader. Sorry for giving you guys hope  :-[

:'( Sad times. Oh well. Stretched PFs or Voronoi noise it is.

bobbystahr

I've been enamoured of the Smoothing Filter shader since it appeared and use it often...thanx again fer dat Matt.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 05, 2018, 09:48:01 AM
I've been enamoured of the Smoothing Filter shader since it appeared and use it often...thanx again fer dat Matt.

It is really super useful. Finding I was using it for more than just smoothly low detail displacement. Was making some pretty decent texture effects with displacements.