Apply thermal paste-usefull data

Started by archonforest, April 05, 2018, 04:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Looks like applying thermal paste is a bit of a holly subject for many people. I did a search recently since I got 2 new 6core Xeon CPUs about this subject and I found something that is very usefull:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

You can see there several methods and the conclusion at the end with pictures! Good stuff.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Now that we have an actual coolant vessel this is an obsolete technology Attila! ;D ;D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

But speaking seriously - until I did maintenance to my machine, I had no idea whatsoever that a magic like "thermal grease" even exist... The guys at the computer shop talked between one another saying "go ahead, and change a paste here" and I was like "deeeeerp?" :o :o

But you can really feel the difference.

I don't really understand some terminology behind it (break-in period?) but then again, as an end-user I don't think I have to.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"