Rising cloud

Started by N-drju, April 06, 2018, 03:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 06, 2018, 05:15:52 PM
Wow, this is interesting and impressive. I have never heard of a device like that! I think it can be particularly useful in some situations.

As far as the cloud is concerned - success! Just have a look at it, it's a beauty...

[attachimg=1]

Obviously though, I need to improve the light propagation at the cloud base. For some reason it turned ugly, ugly, UG-ly... I largely reduced light propagation and light propagation mix and it was probably not the best idea...

That looks great! This sort of approach could be used for sandstorms. Especially if could add a wave like lean to it.

N-drju

You helped develop it. ;) Now I'm struggling with that flat bottom. I tried transform shader and increasing light propagation (which I don't really want overdone either...) but no luck so far.

Tilting such formation is doable, but not as straightforward. I used "twist and shear" and "transform input" for starters but it's rather tricky. Especially the latter when you use SSS mask!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Soften the base in the cloud node? Or mask by distribution shader with a gradient?

WAS

Quote from: Dune on April 07, 2018, 03:35:25 AM
Soften the base in the cloud node? Or mask by distribution shader with a gradient?

I wonder if a soft altitude offset would work as well? It would push the base about, with a soft effect in theory?

N-drju

Right... the distribution shader.

Give me a minute and in the words of Arnie S. - "I'll be back".
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Okay, the soften base does not work. I think it is not as effective for huge cloud like this one.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to use PF masked distribution shader.

N-drju

So here's what I got...

[attach=1]

As you can see, the distribution shader arranged that way, does some rounding of the cloud edges. It's good as well, but you probably want to expand the cloud mask then...

However, the distribution shader does nothing to alter the look of the cloud base. It is still a featureless pancake...

In a way, I can understand that - any massive cloud like this one is bound to block a lot of light coming through.

Now, I'm not sure if I connected the nodes the way they are supposed to be to achieve the effect. So if you think it should be arranged differently, let me know.

Dune

Quoterounding of the cloud edges. It's good as well,
I thought that was what you were after. Changing the evenness of the bottom grey should be possible by depth modulator.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on April 08, 2018, 01:50:02 AM
I thought that was what you were after.

Well, I guess it was a goal too. I think I will leave it as it is, because with other clouds and effects applied, the flat bottom problem will dissolve into irrelevance. Meanwhile, I also found a simple way on how to make rain streaks. The size of power fractal, light propagation and color of the fake rain is a big question though...

[attach=1]

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 08, 2018, 03:17:35 AM
Quote from: Dune on April 08, 2018, 01:50:02 AM
I thought that was what you were after.

Well, I guess it was a goal too. I think I will leave it as it is, because with other clouds and effects applied, the flat bottom problem will dissolve into irrelevance. Meanwhile, I also found a simple way on how to make rain streaks. The size of power fractal, light propagation and color of the fake rain is a big question though...

[attach=1]

I was just playing with this earlier giving a little lean to a tornado cloud. Still want to add detail to the actual tornado column itself but can't figure it out :(

N-drju

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 08, 2018, 04:17:42 AM
I was just playing with this earlier giving a little lean to a tornado cloud. Still want to add detail to the actual tornado column itself but can't figure it out :(

I remember I could nicely alter the cloud bottoms with a wavy pattern by passing PF through transform shader - reducing x and z parameters to about 0.4 - 0.6. This however works for a global cloud surface only. If you have your clouds masked by SSS, the location will get transformed too... ::)

You know, I think the easiest way to do it, would be to shove a few metaclouds underneath your tornado column. Metaclouds are great because they actually take on all shadows and stuff after layers above them. So maybe this? I know it's a bit "dirty" solution but you won't believe how useful it can sometimes be!

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 08, 2018, 03:40:53 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on April 08, 2018, 04:17:42 AM

I remember I could nicely alter the cloud bottoms with a wavy pattern by passing PF through transform shader - reducing x and z parameters to about 0.4 - 0.6. This however works for a global cloud surface only. If you have your clouds masked by SSS, the location will get transformed too... ::)

You know, I think the easiest way to do it, would be to shove a few metaclouds underneath your tornado column. Metaclouds are great because they actually take on all shadows and stuff after layers above them. So maybe this? I know it's a bit "dirty" solution but you won't believe how useful it can sometimes be!

Still haven't really looked into this whole "metacloud" thing, or what exactly it is. :P I was thinking that same thing though, actually, masking in several cloud forms at different radius's with the vortex effect to try and get the "swirl" bands in. I saw someone else use functions to create an actual corkscrew swirl, though it was a bit basic, but that could be refined too.

luvsmuzik

There was a topic about "ring clouds" that might be interesting for either of you also.

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 08, 2018, 05:37:32 PM
There was a topic about "ring clouds" that might be interesting for either of you also.

Thanks luvsmuzik! For reference.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 08, 2018, 05:59:03 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 08, 2018, 05:37:32 PM

Thanks luvsmuzik! For reference.

I was trying to hide it....hahaha  ;D