Aurora Fractilis (sort of Northish Lights...)

Started by Ethrieltd, April 06, 2018, 08:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

QuoteNot on this particular render but as i've mentioned I find sometimes the endless back/forward render tweaking takes longer and sucks all the fun out of it for me so i do tend to ball high sometimes.

With you on this. As long as a scene renders comfortably overnight I'm happy. I do agree it's a good idea to tweak rendering settings to reduce the total time, though.

This is a cool scene. Small suggestion: The foreground is appropriately ghostly but seems too warm given the subject. Maybe a cooler blue or blue-green cast?

DannyG

Quote from: Ethrieltd on April 09, 2018, 10:19:00 AM
Yes, it was.

I forgot to put that. I had to type the reply twice as I errantly closed the tab after I'd written it the first time. Forgot to mention it on the retype..

Thats the issue. If you have Defer enabled you can reduce the sample values almost in half since they are thin. Drop the atmo sample to 16-20 tops. Just doing that will cut your render times by est 2/3rds
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

I didn't see what your antialiasing (AA) setting is, but indeed you generally do not need such high atmo and cloud values with it enabled. I would also say your Micropoly Detail is probably a little more than needed for such a relatively simple terrain. 0.6 might do fine. Remember the Micropoly Detail will not affect clouds if Defer Atmo is on.

- Oshyan