Feature Idea: Force Shader (Push / Pull)

Started by WAS, April 07, 2018, 04:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

The radial shader, like the vortex warp shader, simple shape shader, and others, is position based, and radius based. It effects colour/displacement. There are too flavors, push and pull. The effects are pretty much the same as the lean shader, but effecting color as well, and in a radial fashion.

Primary Use: Clouds and lighting are improving in such radical way that realistic explosions/implosions and many other effects are possible.

Matt

I made some notes about a similar idea a couple of years ago. I called it "pinch warp" and wanted it for a crater. It can be done with blue nodes and a Warp Shader... hint hint math heads... Mogn where are you?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on April 07, 2018, 06:15:48 AM
I made some notes about a similar idea a couple of years ago. I called it "pinch warp" and wanted it for a crater. It can be done with blue nodes and a Warp Shader... hint hint math heads... Mogn where are you?

Matt

Man, wish I didn't have dyscalculia and dyslexia so bad. I've literally never even been able to retain basic times tables, and calculations a study showed I do via objects in my head, no real calculations, basic counting.... :\

And yeah it could definitely be used for craters, especially the push feature for ejecta detail.

Dune

Jon made something like that a few years back.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on April 08, 2018, 01:45:02 AM
Jon made something like that a few years back.

What do you mean?

Also I think with how Terragen tries to keep with realism it may be appropriate to name it something like "Force Shader" as force either pushes or pulls, nothing else. May the force be with you.

Dune

Well, some node setup in blues doing something like this, but I don't know if I may spill the beans  8)

Hetzen

I wrote this a while back. I did do a little more to it but didn't get to finishing it. The bit you are asking for is in this clip file linked up to the ejecta section.

I'll separate it out at some stage.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on April 08, 2018, 10:44:08 AM
Well, some node setup in blues doing something like this, but I don't know if I may spill the beans  8)

:-X

Quote from: Hetzen on April 08, 2018, 11:24:19 AM
I wrote this a while back. I did do a little more to it but didn't get to finishing it. The bit you are asking for is in this clip file linked up to the ejecta section.

I'll separate it out at some stage.

Oh hey Hetzen, thanks! I'll take a look at this. Was this created back when we were trying to do realistic Ejecta a few years ago?

WAS

I still think this shader would be a very good addition to TG. You'd be able to do a lot with it. The most prominent is taking erosion forms in large geometry. This could even aid in Daniil's and base heightfield erosion.