Depth of field

Started by mhaze, May 31, 2019, 05:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

How do I get DOF in Terragen!  I've tried all the usual photographic settings but I'm missing something.

Dune

Set DOF in render: quality tab, and then in camera you have to set blur settings.

mhaze

WAS

Default DoF blur is very subtle

Oshyan

Also helpful to use the DoF preview button on the 3D preview, though depending on settings it doesn't always help a lot due to it being binary, i.e. on or off (it doesn't show you the falloff).

- Oshyan

Dune

It would help a great deal if that system could be different; a way to show what is say 95-100% sharp and what will be out of focus.

René

Yeah, that would be great indeed. A low-res preview would be even better; now it's a matter of trial and error and given the fact that depth of field is not very fast to render it's very time consuming. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: René on June 01, 2019, 04:38:47 AM
Yeah, that would be great indeed. A low-res preview would be even better; now it's a matter of trial and error and given the fact that depth of field is not very fast to render it's very time consuming. :)

agree on all points.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

It'd also be really nice if the overlay changed colours representing a foreground DoF or background DoF. Currently you just got trial and error.

Granted possibly if I understood focals better I'd probably know. *shrugs*

Oshyan

I agree it could be better. Perhaps we'll have actual DoF preview in the RTP at some point, should be a lot easier to implement than in the old preview.

- Oshyan