Sombrero

Started by WAS, April 08, 2018, 04:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Been trying to make a nice galaxy in Terragen, this is the best result i have obtained yet. Still much work to be done which is all frustrating due to quality and render times. It takes over an hour to render a tiny little cropped square about 1/44 of the scene just to obtain a partial understanding of what the full scene looks like and changes I've made. A very, very, slow process. This image at AA 6 and Detail 0.1 took 14 hours. Seriously, if i had my desktop "building" this would probably be a tenth of the time spent... alas I love Terragen too much.

Todo

• Larger Galactic Core boundaries
  • Mask thicker cloud forms to the edges of the bands and add more "webby" gaseous forms on the inner bands.
  • Smaller thick hydrogen clouds, little darker, tinner light hydrogen clouds but denser
  • Wish you could have a cooperating galaxy bands boundary that doesn't flat out into a tight disk...
  • Pray for less crashes

luvsmuzik

well done!
Too bad about your workflow issues. It is like such deprivation when you suffer from limited TG usage. Hope you get a cure soon!

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 08, 2018, 05:42:06 PM
well done!
Too bad about your workflow issues. It is like such deprivation when you suffer from limited TG usage. Hope you get a cure soon!

Thank you.

Yeah there is something about the RAM/CPU combo in this little thing that doesn't like setting changes, regardless if preview is paused or not. Once you hit render and leave it alone all is well. But actually working leads to crashes. I have to do things slowly and give it time to catch up heh. My friend took my PC apart and found that the person who put it together didn't use enough thermal paste, like I guess there was just a "S" of paste on the CPU that didn't even spread out it was so thin. Issue is, the CPU itself is all tarnished now from heat damage. He's going to get it back together here soon when he get more thermal paste and see if it runs better or is damaged.

WAS

Also I am still happy i can still use Terragen, and to think a little box smaller than my phone is producing beautiful renders, is amazing. And 14 hours is not half bad for a  bunch of v3 clouds. A testament to amazingly brilliant programming. L:)

Kadri

I like space images like that. Nice.
My computer does have problems too right now.
Looks like a hard drive probably but not sure and it feels uneasy not knowing what the real problem is.
If i can buy a new computer i will try some things like your image that i don't want to try now because of render times( especially with animating).
Faster CPU (and a working computer of course :) ) is what can make Terragen working much more fun for sure.

I saw that kind of computer first when my nephew bought one. Was surprised how good it is for such a compact size really.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on April 08, 2018, 06:16:47 PM

I like space images like that. Nice.
My computer does have problems too right now.
Looks like a hard drive probably but not sure and it feels uneasy not knowing what the real problem is.
If i can buy a new computer i will try some things like your image that i don't want to try now because of render times( especially with animating).
Faster CPU (and a working computer of course :) ) is what can make Terragen working much more fun for sure.

I saw that kind of computer first when my nephew bought one. Was surprised how good it is for such a compact size really.

Seeing a galaxy like this (once nice and detailed) in motion would be just amazing, mann! I've always wanted to try Terragens animation but I can't afford that sort of stuff.

I dream of some day having a better CPU, I imagine learning from terragen would be so much faster and smoother. I've always had hand-me-downs. Lots of health problems and complications. My father had 7 heart attacks before I was 16 and our family fell apart, I have MS like my mother and congestive heart failure for a nice little added ticking time bomb on top of all my small problems like chrons, and stuff, so I haven't even been able to work much in my life as things started to take hold as I became an adult.

Working on inner detail.... Enter the End!

Kadri

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 08, 2018, 07:02:53 PM
... Lots of health problems and complications. My father had 7 heart attacks before I was 16 and our family fell apart, I have MS like my mother and congestive heart failure for a nice little added ticking time bomb on top of all my small problems like chrons, and stuff, so I haven't even been able to work much in my life as things started to take hold as I became an adult.

Sorry to hear that.

Oshyan

Wow, this is already looking really cool! I can still be surprised by Terragen work that people come up with. :)

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on April 08, 2018, 07:26:56 PM
Wow, this is already looking really cool! I can still be surprised by Terragen work that people come up with. :)

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan! Means a lot, very much appreciate the feedback.

Quote from: Kadri on April 08, 2018, 07:22:26 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on April 08, 2018, 07:02:53 PM
... Lots of health problems and complications. My father had 7 heart attacks before I was 16 and our family fell apart, I have MS like my mother and congestive heart failure for a nice little added ticking time bomb on top of all my small problems like chrons, and stuff, so I haven't even been able to work much in my life as things started to take hold as I became an adult.

Sorry to hear that.

Ehh, I'm stubborn and ignorant, I'll keep truckin'.

archonforest

If u guys (WASasquatch, Kadri) have hardware issues and no clue what is going on I am willing to debug and help. Send me a PM and we can go over if needed. I am pretty good on HW.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

Quote from: archonforest on April 09, 2018, 09:57:30 AM
If u guys (WASasquatch, Kadri) have hardware issues and no clue what is going on I am willing to debug and help. Send me a PM and we can go over if needed. I am pretty good on HW.

Thanks. Maybe later :)

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on April 09, 2018, 09:57:30 AM

Thank you, we will see what the results of my friends endeavor. I am decent with hardware, but more a software guy, but I shake a lot and cannot due case work, I broke a a CPU few years back. Literally just ripped off pins fidgeting so I don't work on my own stuff anymore.

WAS

This render took a bit of time, but was better than the last. My galaxy haze layer somehow got bumped up like 2000k from the galaxy, not sure how, but other than that things look a lot better, though a little thin. I'm not satisfied with the cloud forms still. I wanted better natural bands but can't figure out how to warp without tiny "particle" like distortions when dealing with large scales. Denis is the master of clouds, that is for sure.

Hard to capture detail and form at the same time with resolution restrictions, but still decently happy with it... a lot I dislike though about my cloud forms.

Hannes

Really cool!! As Oshyan said, it's always great to see some unusual TG work.