Author Topic: Flat area  (Read 256 times)

Offline monicagoodlett

Flat area
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:41 PM »
What is the easiest way to have a flat area in terrain? Basically I want a flat area uneven to represent a plain at the confluence of a river and sea.
https://www.google.com.vn/

Offline WASasquatch

• to = ( be ) ? be : not;
Re: Flat area
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:29:25 PM »
What is the easiest way to have a flat area in terrain? Basically I want a flat area uneven to represent a plain at the confluence of a river and sea.
https://www.google.com.vn/

The best way is to use a mask. If you look at the basic "new file" project Terragen gives you, it creates a plain with a large circular Simple Shape Shader plugged into the mask of the terrain, and inverted. The Simple Shape Shader allows for square, circle, and polygon shapes. You can further naturalize these masks with other shaders like the fractalize shader.
Art can be a window into the soul

Offline Dune

• Corkscrew Bird
    • www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:44:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum, first of all. Your link wasn't complete, btw.
A simple shape with a smooth step edge of a certain percentage or meters at the place of the intended flat area can be used as mask input for a surface shader after the main terrain has been displaced, but before the compute terrain. Then use the smooth function to flatten that area (almost) completely. It may rise up or sink, depending on average altitude of your terrain. Then use the displacement offset to get it to the altitude you want for the level terrain.
If you have a river and sea masked, you can use that mask to not flatten, raise or sink those water areas, by subtracting it from the SSS (merge shader or blue node subtract scalar or color).
And for the SSS you can either use square or circle, but you can also warp before using as mask for a more irregular shape.
In case you still haven't seen enough of my work: www.ulco-art.nl

Offline D.A. Bentley

• D.A. Bentley
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 12:13:07 AM »
Oh that's good info.  I hadn't thought of warping a SSS.  The other day I was hoping I could click and drag on the vertices of a Simple Shape Shader Polygon, but no.  Maybe a future feature hopefully (Maybe a 4th option for "Editable Polygon").  Splines would be nice too.  :)

Offline Dune

• Corkscrew Bird
    • www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 05:40:45 AM »
Yes, splines would be great. We've asked about this years ago already, so maybe one day... You can also stack some SSS's to get certain shapes, white or black ones. 
In case you still haven't seen enough of my work: www.ulco-art.nl

Offline WASasquatch

• to = ( be ) ? be : not;
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:35:33 AM »
Yes, splines would be great. We've asked about this years ago already, so maybe one day... You can also stack some SSS's to get certain shapes, white or black ones.

Oh I would love that. Also voronoi warping (to compliment the Octave Perlin flavor) for the PFs would be nice, since the effect it creates isn't exactly a easy step with a warp shader.
Art can be a window into the soul

Offline rojharris

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
Hello Folks. I'm a total noob so maybe this isn't the best way but I had a similar issue today where I wanted to do a coastline but not too even like you'd get with an SSS so in the end I just used the paint tool with 100% flow and painted in the coast shape, then coloured in  the 'sea' area solid white. That way I could have any shape I wanted. It worked a teat (so long as you pause the preview) and I then used the painted shader as a mask to make my coastline.

Now all I need to do is work out how to make little beaches :-)

Here's a quick render.

Offline bobbystahr

• Turn, and face the Strange Ch Ch Changes...D Bowie
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:49:21 PM »
Have you tried a Factal Warp shader after the SS shader for a more attenuated Shore Line?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Offline rojharris

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 07:19:45 AM »
Have you tried a Factal Warp shader after the SS shader for a more attenuated Shore Line?

No, I've not even worked out exactly what fractal warp does yet :-). I'll give it a whirl. I'm very new to all this.

Really I was just suggesting the paint technique of getting a more interesting mask shape as requested by monicagoodlet

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Offline bobbystahr

• Turn, and face the Strange Ch Ch Changes...D Bowie
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »

No, I've not even worked out exactly what fractal warp does yet :-). I'll give it a whirl. I'm very new to all this.

Really I was just suggesting the paint technique of getting a more interesting mask shape as requested by monicagoodlet

Thanks for the suggestion though.

It Warps any shader it follows...check it out. It's a favorite modifier of mine since first use.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

anything