Spring in the Gully

Started by Lady of the Lake, April 09, 2018, 10:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Lady of the Lake

Thanks everyone.  I messed with the soft clip effect by increasing it and then unchecking the compensation tab.  Didn't see enough difference to worry about using it in the future. (unless I didn't do it right)
Danny G. suggested I increase the GI settings.  Since I know nothing about using these I just bumped up the settings of almost everything by 2.  Seemed to me that it "washed" out some of the color, so I scrapped that also.  What would be correct settings if I were to increase them?

Lyla

zaxxon

A very pleasant and natural scene. I think this one is my personal favorite of all the images that you have posted. I would definitely say your muse is back. Well done!

Hannes

Maybe you could be a little more specific about your GI settings, so that we could try to give you some advice.

Lady of the Lake

Here are the screen shots of the settings I used.  As I said, I just increased most of them from the default, not knowing what I was doing.   ;D

Hannes

GI 4/4 sounds a bit over the top to me for a still. I'd say 2/2 might be enough. Occlusion weight 3 sounds much, but looking at your image it's OK. I can't tell you much about "bounce to the ounce". I did some tests some time ago, but didn't really find out, what it's really doing.
So all in all I can't really help you much. Maybe you could try to play with the contrast and gamma correction settings under Render/Tonemap.

Lady of the Lake

The 2/2 setting is the default that I used in the image you see.  When it was suggested I increase the amounts I used the 4/4.   The default on the other is 1/1 (the image you see)  so I increased it to the 3/3.  The result of the all those increases I thought "washed out" the image, so I scrapped it.  I did play with the gamma and contrast to get what you see and I liked it. 

On to another project...thanks for all the input especially the leaning of the pops.  I will try to remember to use that one.

Lyla

Oshyan

The real question here is what was meant by "increase GI". There is GI *quality*, which would be increased with the cache detail, etc., and would give you more *detail* in the GI, especially shadowed areas, and more accuracy. But then there is the "amount" of bounced light, e.g. brighten up the shadows, using either increase in Enviro Light strength, or Bounce to the Ounce (it is, of course, the corresponding setting to Occlusion Weight, allowing to individually tune the strength of shadowed areas and bounced light). Changing *both* at the same time, which is what you did, doesn't really make sense, though I understand why you did (after all "more GI" wasn't really clear to begin with). Just know that the GISD and Enviro Light settings are affecting *strength* of a GI component or effect, while the Prepass tab is controlling *quality* of the GI (i.e. detail and accuracy).

- Oshyan

Lady of the Lake

Thanks a bunch for the explanation of this.