Windows 10 mandatory updates and long rendering

Started by Denis Sirenko, April 16, 2018, 05:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Any psychologist out there will tell you that too much reliance and over-dependency on people around you, does not necessarily lead to happiness. Sometimes, even contrary.

Why then do humans believe that total dependency on computers is good and must-have? It's just the same story with different set of actors. ::)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: jaf on April 19, 2018, 09:09:28 PM
Quote from: D.A. Bentley on April 19, 2018, 11:07:23 AM
I always just use the "Pause Updates" feature before I start long renders (especially if I know they will still be rendering on Tuesday).
Thanks! I don't remember seeing that option before, but it is there on my system.  Is that new?

I don't think it's new, since I remember when I first upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (when Microsoft offered the Free upgrades) I saw that feature, but it might have been named differently.  I'm not totally 100% positive but I think it used to be called "Defer Updates".  You can just always leave it on and do updates every 35 days instead of every week.  ;)

WAS

Quote from: jaf on April 19, 2018, 09:09:28 PM
Quote from: D.A. Bentley on April 19, 2018, 11:07:23 AM
I always just use the "Pause Updates" feature before I start long renders (especially if I know they will still be rendering on Tuesday).
Thanks! I don't remember seeing that option before, but it is there on my system.  Is that new?

It's been part of Win10 since the trials. Basically the new methodology is you cannot stop windows updates, you can pause them, for a maximum of 30 days. I believe I mentioned this earlier. However you can just disable the service altogether, though I believe Windows Defender will reactivate it during a restart or something (believe I remember a similar issue when I tried disabling it altogether).

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: digitalguru on April 17, 2018, 06:18:00 AM
QuoteIn the office after a week or two of fighting, two computers changed the Windows 7 to 10.
There is also a small program called Never 10 - that stops Windows 7 self upgrading to 10. Reinstall your Windows 7 and run that.

Thanks for the help. Another solution that I have not heard of before. Although it's too late for me)

Quote from: digitalguru on April 17, 2018, 06:18:00 AM
Denis
Quotelso the solution that I found: make animation with crops for rendering.
You shouldn't have to do this - it's your computer - make it work the way you want to...

Yes, but this decision until I get the confidence that the problem is completely solved in principle and I can be confident in my computer. No more.

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 17, 2018, 07:26:35 AM
Edit afterthought: What is infuriating to me is that I had been running Win10 on said computer for at least a year, and encouraging others about it, then January 9, 2018 like a thief in the night this reset happens. :(

luvsmuzik, "like a thief in the night" — very precise description). Whereas the subsequent updates of Windows 10 are a robbery among the day.

By the way, some people advise just to do an update BEFORE I go home, then to render and know that it will not reboot. Do you suggest that my employer pay for the time during which I observe how the system is updated? And never knowing beforehand how long this will last. And this can last for hours. One computer I did it all day (although this seems to be only once). In addition, where is the guarantee that the next day after the update there will not be a patch that fixes some problem in this new update? And I, for example, planned to render for 5 days.

There is another story. Recently there was an update 1709, which many (looking at the reaction on the Internet) caused problems. The fact is that this update on many systems was not installed correctly, including one of my computers. The system, accordingly, thought that it was not updated and continued trying every day. So far, I have not been able to solve this problem. But now I just cut off this computer from the Internet.

All this is so annoying that I'm already tired of being annoyed. Now I disconnect the computers from the Internet, and I'm experimenting with ShutUp10.

Looking at how many people talk about Windows 7, I first decided that most people use this version. But yesterday I saw this:

[attachimg=1]

There are many, but not most. So, people somehow manage it (I'm about Win10 updates). Or just tolerate and more favorably to this behavior?

Quote from: digitalguru on April 17, 2018, 10:52:36 AM
I did try that, and I got Windows 7 up and running on my AMD - but then I realised that some features on board (LAN drivers etc) didn't have Windows 7 drivers...
I think if you want a new CPU/Motherboard, there's no other option :-(

I agree. I think that if you do not want to stay behind after a while, you simply do not have a choice. We will have to install modern software: update existing or look at other solutions. One of my colleagues is sitting on Windous XP and he can't watch videos on YouTube in good quality)

Quote from: N-drju on April 18, 2018, 02:44:03 AM
Denis, one "bootleg" tip that I have for you is something that I used to prevent some of my programs from updating, rebooting or connecting to the Internet... Just change the system date to three or four days in the past... :D May trick your system into thinking it's not yet a time to upgrade / update.
It worked for me many times. You won't be able to use internet (webpage security certificates) but you may fool the upgrade system.[/font][/size]

It's interesting, but it's more like a temporary solution, which can cause inconvenience to me. For example, I use a program (created in our studio) that uses the hotkey to insert the current date and time before the file name, it helps me keep order in the names of my files. This means I have to translate the clock every time before leaving the office, and then on returning. It's not very convenient. And it's strange to me that this generally affects the start of the update. It seemed to me that the update comes when it appears on the Windous servers, but I can mistake.

luvsmuzik

Perhaps this is a question for  Matt then. I know other productivity software can save a recoverable tmp file in case of a crash or interruption. Possible?

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 21, 2018, 07:28:23 AM
Perhaps this is a question for  Matt then. I know other productivity software can save a recoverable tmp file in case of a crash or interruption. Possible?

I've wondered about this too. Though I know it's not very common, and probably relies on the type of renderer.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Terragen can stop your screen saver from coming on in windows when rendering, so maybe it's possible to have the option "Do not let Windows Reboot while rendering"?

Oshyan

We cannot control Windows Update, unfortunately. Also, there's conflicting info, but it seems the Defer Updates option may not be available for Windows *Home* version users, only for Professional and above:
https://www.howtogeek.com/286658/how-to-change-how-long-updates-are-deferred-in-windows-10/
That could explain why some here may not see it.

- Oshyan

bla bla 2

I use win10pro60bits, and none problem of this whon.  (J'utilise windows 10pro64bits et j'ai aucun problème de ce genre.)

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: Seth on April 18, 2018, 04:32:41 PM
Option 1: Stop The Windows Update Service

As central as it is to the core of Windows 10, Windows Update is actually just another Windows process so it can be stopped with these simple steps:

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
In 'Startup Type' (under the 'General' tab) change it to 'Disabled'
Restart
To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to 'Automatic'

Option 2: Group Policy Editor

This is a halfway house: the group policy editor will notify you about new updates without automatically installing them (how previous generations of Windows always worked) - though again security updates will still install automatically.

Note: Windows 10 Home users have to sit this one out, it is only for Windows 10 Education, Pro and Enterprise editions.

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to '2 - Notify for download and notify for install'
Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click 'Check for updates' which applies the new configuration setting
Restart

1) Thank you, Seth. I did it. I'll try to leave the computer connected to the Internet and see what happens.

2) Does not work for me, because Windows Home.

N-drju

The solution I mentioned Denis may indeed be cumbersome for you if, as you say, you frequently operate on dates. :)

In my case it proved terrific. I have some programs that use launcher software which, from time to time, has to validate said programs and requires Internet connection in order to do so. Obviously, when you go out of the city and off the grid, it is impossible to connect to the Internet but you still want to use some of your software.

So when I have no Internet connection I just turn the date back, and manage to fool the software that there are still a few days left till the next validation. :)

Anyway, it is really beyond me why some users claim Win 10 is aggressive with the updates while still others claiming it is good!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: N-drju on April 24, 2018, 07:14:26 AM
Anyway, it is really beyond me why some users claim Win 10 is aggressive with the updates while still others claiming it is good![/font][/size]

I think everything can be explained by the fact that some are owners of the version "Home", and others — "Pro".

Seth, unfortunately Option 1 (Stop The Windows Update Service) for me it does not seem to work. Now I returned to my office after dinner and my computer was restarted, and in the corner of the screen there was a message that some problems occurred during the update. I checked the type of launch for the Windows Update service, again it was "Manually", although by your advice I turned on "Disable". Some mystical entity decided that I made the wrong choice. It's about updating 1709, about which I wrote. The computer left connected to the Internet.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Denis Sirenko on April 28, 2018, 06:29:47 AM
Quote from: N-drju on April 24, 2018, 07:14:26 AM
Anyway, it is really beyond me why some users claim Win 10 is aggressive with the updates while still others claiming it is good![/font][/size]

I think everything can be explained by the fact that some are owners of the version "Home", and others — "Pro".

Seth, unfortunately Option 1 (Stop The Windows Update Service) for me it does not seem to work. Now I returned to my office after dinner and my computer was restarted, and in the corner of the screen there was a message that some problems occurred during the update. I checked the type of launch for the Windows Update service, again it was "Manually", although by your advice I turned on "Disable". Some mystical entity decided that I made the wrong choice. It's about updating 1709, about which I wrote. The computer left connected to the Internet.

Yes I have Home version, so I will have to go with the flow. I am just like others wondering if the timing of these updates is coordinated with the registration of the Win10 download or upon purchase of same with a new unit. It would be nice if MS would at least give you a 48 hour notice if it is system (build) wide.