Hollow Cloud Possible?

Started by WAS, April 11, 2018, 11:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Like the tittle suggests. Is this possible?

cyphyr

A distance shader attached to a camera will give you a spherical void. and there are some blue function nodes that could be leveraged ... Bit of a challenge though.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

A Distance Shader as the Mask for your Density Shader (or Final Density Modulator) should work fine, although it would only create a spherical "hollow" inside the cloud, not one the exact shape of the exterior but shrunken, so to speak. But what exactly are you wanting to achieve? If you're in the center of a hollow cloud you'll just see... gray around you, right? And if you're seeing it from the outside, you wouldn't even know it's hollow, except maybe by odd lighting interactions, right?

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on April 12, 2018, 01:24:45 AM
A Distance Shader as the Mask for your Density Shader (or Final Density Modulator) should work fine, although it would only create a spherical "hollow" inside the cloud, not one the exact shape of the exterior but shrunken, so to speak. But what exactly are you wanting to achieve? If you're in the center of a hollow cloud you'll just see... gray around you, right? And if you're seeing it from the outside, you wouldn't even know it's hollow, except maybe by odd lighting interactions, right?

- Oshyan

Basically I think the problem I am having with lighting in my galaxies is when I create my galactic core, there are tiny cloud "particles" right near the actual light source; creating shadows/effecting light scattering, that casts out, growing exponentially due to closeness to the light source.  And this ruins the appearance of the scene. I have to ramp down density until the effect I want is lost, also.

*Twiddle thumbs waiting on a preview render example...*

These artifacts don't exist if there is no galactic core (that is an example, I deleted the original two sided depth one), and the clouds creating haze are a solid colour and do not use a PF to create shape. Usually this "core" would have a PF shape (not just base density with max coverage), which is larger scale and like water caustics, almost like a sun but more dense clouds.