Translation after rotation?

Started by rojharris, April 13, 2018, 06:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rojharris

Hi there,

I'm sure this has been answered before but I can't find anything so here goes:

When I import an object and then use the gizmo to rotate it, the translate arrows do not rotate with the object?? This means that subsequent positioning of rotated object is really difficult. Is there a way to make the translation arrows respect the rotated object?

Thanks
Roger

jaf

Just click on the translate icon (left one of the four).
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

rojharris

Quote from: jaf on April 13, 2018, 10:11:02 AM
Just click on the translate icon (left one of the four).

I think you miss-understood my problem. It's that once you rotate the object, then click on the translate icon, the axes do not follow the objects space but are still in world space, making it difficult to move in a perspective or camera view

Cheers
R

jaf

Sorry, I understand what to mean now.  I that case, I usually go to the top view and click and drag from the center point of the x and z axis.  I would be nice if there was a way to rotate the translate arrows though.

[edit]  The center of the gizmo arrows is a green circle which will (sometimes) turns to light green when the cursor is over it.  Then left-click and drag.  I say "sometimes" because once in a while TG resists selecting both axis.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

rojharris

Thanks Jaf. Top view method it is then for now. I've been spoilt in other 3D apps so I expect basic stuff like this to just work but of course each app is different or I guess we'd only need one!

Cheers
R