Warp Shader doesn't warp multiple SSS

Started by WAS, April 12, 2018, 02:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm not sure what's going on here. The Warp Shader doesn't seem to effect all SSS in stack. As you can see, it doesn't effect one of the line, but the Vortex Shader (after the warp) does. The low level detail is from a fractal shader after the SSS stack, and before the warp.

Warped the SSS in question by itself and it works fine. So obviously a bug

Even warping both SSS shapes separately, one of the warpers will just not warp, but with one warper on either, works. Can't warp a stack, or in-between SSS's.  Final Position is not warp-able so that doesn't help.

Kadri

Is the same problem still there when you render it?

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on April 12, 2018, 06:13:23 AM

Is the same problem still there when you render it?

That I have not checked due to render times and how slow setting things up for a render are. I'll give it a shot here in the morning.

SILENCER

I like that warp input affecting the SS shader idea.
I gave that a go with a PF and couldn't get it to work at all.  Weird.

luvsmuzik

Looks interesting...

Dune

Weird indeed, but I've noticed the same non-warping in parts of the blue node voronoi. Maybe it has to do with the zero Y, at which altitude you see it in the small preview. What if you transform and lift the whole thing and render? Maybe a long shot, but it came to mind...

bobbystahr

Here's what I got on a warped stack of a variety of SS shaders
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 12, 2018, 11:42:07 AM

That seems to show they all will warp in the render which is good. But does it show some.of the SSS shapes not warping in the preview of the warper?

WAS

Think I got it. My redirect shader, which is my warper, had a large scale Z PF, which was just entirely missing the SSS.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 12, 2018, 04:17:50 PM

That seems to show they all will warp in the render which is good. But does it show some.of the SSS shapes not warping in the preview of the warper?

never noticed as I use a Surface layer for my preview...Load the .tgd up and have a look. I can't as TG doesn't live on this box and the workstation is busy rendering.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 12, 2018, 07:13:19 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on April 12, 2018, 04:17:50 PM

never noticed as I use a Surface layer for my preview...Load the .tgd up and have a look. I can't as TG doesn't live on this box and the workstation is busy rendering.

I will, thanks. I usually just use the last shader in the line for the preview.

So I was able to get my SSS's warped by lowing the lead-in on my Z axis for the redirect. However, the cloud forms, with even just first try warp look decent, but there is weird blocking happening in the cloud forms. I tried several different densities and lighting changes to the cloud properties but they remain. Wondering if it too is probably caused by clouds right up against the light source creating exponentially growing artifacting.

SILENCER

Bobby illustrated my error. I was using warp input instead of fractal warp, which made it a hell of a lot easier.

What a handy little tool this will turn out to be for river mattes without using the erosion tool, canyons, things like that.

bobbystahr

Quote from: SILENCER on April 13, 2018, 10:40:29 AM
Bobby illustrated my error. I was using warp input instead of fractal warp, which made it a hell of a lot easier.

What a handy little tool this will turn out to be for river mattes without using the erosion tool, canyons, things like that.

Indeed, that and the Transform shader for moving the network around to where you want it are 2 valuable tips I got from Dune.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Re: blocky artifacts, what are your cloud Acceleration Cache settings? Turn the accel cache off if it's on and test that. In v3 clouds it might also be a need for a higher Cloud GI setting.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on April 13, 2018, 04:21:07 PM
Re: blocky artifacts, what are your cloud Acceleration Cache settings? Turn the accel cache off if it's on and test that. In v3 clouds it might also be a need for a higher Cloud GI setting.

- Oshyan

No cache acceleration, I believe it was actually the Y axis redirect that has no purpose in cloud forms, creating pushing/pulling artifacts on the colour contrast.