TB-scene

Started by Dune, April 13, 2018, 12:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

The folds in the fabric look good in Zbrush and I can see why that is not the case in Terragen. The shiny texture in Zbrush makes the folds stand out better. Perhaps if you adjust the texture and lighting in Zbrush during sculpting to the Terragen version, you have a better idea of what the end result will be in Terragen.

j meyer

If your are using a Matcap material in ZB then this has baked in lighting. You could do that, too.
AO masking and deriving an AO image to combine with your texture in TG would be something
worth to try as well. And/or painting AO.
For the hair you might consider to paint it traditionally or at least refine it that way.
Just my two cents.

Dune

Thanks guys. You're both right. Maybe the folds need to be exxagerated. I've now put a wrinkled cloth bumpmap across, on top of the cloth texture itself, which give more definition, though it's not really accurate of course. And I don't want extremely high polycounts, so don't want to sculpt any wrinkle. These people are about 100Mb now.
I realized painting in some extra hairs is definitely easier and faster after the main render is done.

Here's another person I just made. The young hare (and the clothing) is not yet really good, but I'll work on that.

bobbystahr

Good skin on the guy and really nice hair on the hare...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

Skin looks better in the last image.
Wasn't there a thread about skin? Hannes had a good one if i remember right?

Hannes

I think the skin looks great here. My solutions sometimes looked good and sometimes didn't. Since there is still (!) no real subsurface scattering it depends on the object if the fake SSS works.
I'd say in this case it's as good as it can be.

Dune

Slowly it's taking shape, but still a lot of stuff to handle. I'm not unpleased with the skins, but the clothes are no good. Some hair needs change, the right kid is ugly (left also a bit), stuff in wooden trough should be clay, I need some wetness where they worked with the clay, some fresh pots, smoke from the earth kiln (maybe I will comp that in, so I need a small, whirly smoke column and an alpha, or I piant in), more small grasses or other to cover bare ground, stuff happening near the houses, some cattle, the right house has a texture error. And lots of small things I will change in post, like the pops of flat hay on the roofs don't cover it entirely as I wish.
No post on these yet, but had to cut in two, to fit here.

Dune

And right side. Any additional comments are very welcome!!

N-drju

Wow, you did such an impressive job on that hunter guy... Now he looks as if he was rendered in DS with the 3Delight render engine. Which is good. Great accomplishment as for TG-only rendered person!

Frankly, I don't know how you guys make your groundcover so nice. Maybe it's a matter of diversity - I always put about five species of grass and when combined, they always look like English lawn in the end... :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Thanks Andrej. Actually I need more groundcover to cover all bare ground in the front area. These are I think 5 grasses and one flower. Along the brook I planted another species (just one is already doing nicely). I may add some more, and I want some yellow flowering plants. I'm also keen on making some orchids for the very front. You need some very different species to get diversity and use PF's to get uneven mixes.
The left tree will be cut by some guy I still need to make, there will be a 'hunebed' (grave), and some already cut tree remains, etc.

N-drju

It's "Andrzej". ;) Though most foreigners address me as "André" which is fairly decent too. :D

Even despite a few empty spots, I still think that the foliage looks alright. After all, sometimes you get bare ground between the grass IRL.

What is this red circle on the side of the building doing? Just a placeholder?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

No, that's where I need to change the texture. Sorry about your name's omitted Z, I'll keep it in mind.

I've made some very nice low grasses and some orchids (Dactylorhiza maculata) to be added.

bobbystahr

Looking really good and you know best re: foliage but  I'd dirty up the bare feet a bit. They look un-naturally clean in the situation.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Looks fantastic, Ulco. But you're right, the folds look strange. No idea, what this is...

N-drju

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 17, 2018, 10:55:06 AM
Looking really good and you know best re: foliage but  I'd dirty up the bare feet a bit. They look un-naturally clean in the situation.

Good point!