Nevada 1951

Started by Hannes, April 13, 2018, 01:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Another go at creating an image out of a reference image (see second image "Nuclear bomb"). This time I didn't try to exactly reproduce the original image, but added things from other ones (like the vertical smoke streaks, that were made by additional smoke rockets to learn more about the shock wave as far as I understood) or stuff that might fit in.
Of course this image could be heavily processed to look like an old photograph, but I wanted to show it like it is.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Denis Sirenko

Cool! Just the same explosion that we recently discussed. Сan I ask how this form was created?

Hannes

Sure, there's a total of eightteen cloud layers in different shapes and settings. The vertical streaks are made of two very deep cloud layers with extreme contrast and offset settings stretched by a factor of 150 and then warped by a PF that runs through a redirect shader (x- and z-axis) plus input transform shaders each, that tilt them a bit.

WAS

This is just great! Love it! The effect is very convincing, the only thing I notice is lack of direction in the cloud forms, but that's really difficult to achieve without some sort of force shader for pushing/pulling or a bunch of complicated function work.

I wonder if one of those chromatic filter things on the interwebs would make it look like the original camera filter.

Oshyan

Wow, another impressive recreation!

- Oshyan

Denis Sirenko

pokoy

I didn't realize that one of them was a render before reading the comments... I'm speechless!

Lady of the Lake

Dune

So which one was the photo again? Amazing stuff, Hannes. But 18 cloud layers..... V2 and/or v3?... and render time?

René

Holy sh!t, that looks really good!

mhaze

Fantastic work! WOW!!!

Hannes

Thanks a lot, guys!!

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 13, 2018, 04:14:01 PM
This is just great! Love it! The effect is very convincing, the only thing I notice is lack of direction in the cloud forms, but that's really difficult to achieve without some sort of force shader for pushing/pulling or a bunch of complicated function work.

I wonder if one of those chromatic filter things on the interwebs would make it look like the original camera filter.

Yes, creating the right cloud forms is really a tough one. I guess I hit the seed button a thousand times. Btw, the RTP is quite helpful in this case. It updates fast enough to see, if the actual shape is good or not.
Playing with some filters is of course on my to do list, but I wanted to show the original first.

Quote from: Dune on April 14, 2018, 01:17:59 AM
So which one was the photo again? Amazing stuff, Hannes. But 18 cloud layers..... V2 and/or v3?... and render time?

All layers are V2. I thought about trying V3, but since they do not really "talk to each other" like Matt said, I sticked to the old ones.
Rendertime wasn't too bad. Since I used "Defer atmo/cloud" for the final render it took quite some time of course. Fifteen hours for a resolution of 1625 X 2000px.

zaxxon

That is some amazing TG wizardry Hannes! The subject matter is especially ominous, and the fate of those 'bystanders' must have been grim later in life. Oh well, life doesn't always serve up pleasant images. Congratulations on another masterly reproduction!