Lost in Space (2018)

Started by WAS, April 14, 2018, 05:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

The terrain in this show looks very suspiciously partially Terragen. Anyone know of it's use, and where?

Oshyan

I don't think we've heard about this, if that's the case. Curious to see now. Anything available in online trailers or clips that you've seen?

- Oshyan

Matt

It's on Netflix. We can watch the first episode when you get here tomorrow  ;D

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on April 15, 2018, 02:42:58 AM
It's on Netflix. We can watch the first episode when you get here tomorrow  ;D

Matt

It's the way they did colouring on mountains, snow, distant "grass" on rocks that just looks so Terragen, and they also incorporate terrain arches much like covered here, in fact, very much like what's covered here and not like a molded arch with other programs. They also use lots of twist and shear it seems like.  Though no real indication it was Terragen, it seems like all the basic principles of TG work over the years put together into beautiful scenery haha

Only image I could find showing any bit of the custom terrains.

Matt

Sometimes I wish I didn't know how this stuff was made. Takes the fun out of watching Sci Fi!
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

Quote from: Matt on April 15, 2018, 02:50:51 AM
Sometimes I wish I didn't know how this stuff was made. Takes the fun out of watching Sci Fi!

Yep ... this ... :o :\
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: Matt on April 15, 2018, 02:50:51 AM

I know what you mean, I think. But at the same time. I walk around the real-world comparing it to Terragen and how to achieve things.

Hetzen

It was my first thought when I saw the trailer. There's a brief shot of some very obvious Voronoi on some mountains sticking through clouds.  :D

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on April 15, 2018, 04:20:40 PM
It was my first thought when I saw the trailer. There's a brief shot of some very obvious Voronoi on some mountains sticking through clouds.  :D

That's where I first saw those shears and went to watch the first 4 episodes. Which by and by, the reboot is actually very well done. It seems they're incorporating elements of the failed Earth 2 show that premiered in 1994, which is a series I wish wasn't hindered by two Star Trek shows and forced to cancel.

ajcgi

Did anybody else watching the first ep just keep sounding like a nagging parent, saying "Shut the tent! Put on a HAT!" They make a point of saying it'll be 60 below at night then do jack all to conserve energy. Took me a long flippin' time to suspend disbelief on this show.

Totally TG-esque. Agreed.

WAS

Quote from: ajcgi on April 17, 2018, 12:43:33 PM
Did anybody else watching the first ep just keep sounding like a nagging parent, saying "Shut the tent! Put on a HAT!" They make a point of saying it'll be 60 below at night then do jack all to conserve energy. Took me a long flippin' time to suspend disbelief on this show.

Totally TG-esque. Agreed.

Yeah I had the same thoughts. Lol

Oshyan

Hah, same as well.

- Oshyan